Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Win or Lose, It's How You Play The Game

It was a 9-8 heart-breaker. The Boy lost his semi-final All Star game. It's not over...they can battle back from the loser's bracket, but it will be a challenge. We knew it was going to be a tough game going in. We lost one of our best players over the weekend. An ugly (and somewhat overly-brutal) play caused a broken arm, not to mention a broken heart. Because after all, what is worse than making the All Star team when you are 11, and then not being able to play? Well, tonight, The Boy's answer to that question might be "playing badly". He did not have one of his better games...he had his good moments....but he also had his less-than-good moments.



I truly believe that these are the best learning experiences as you grow up. The Boy works and practices hard, and most of the time, he learns that this pays off. But there are some games, just like experiences in life, where the ball just doesn't bounce your way. Adversity is a great teacher. "Win some, lose some" is a trite saying, but a truthful one.



When I was The Boy's age. I swam on an extremely competitive swim team. We practiced every morning form 7 to 10. I swam back stroke and free style, and I won most of my races. I also swam in the relays. I loved these because my 2 best friends also swam in these. One particular meet, we were facing a challenging team. I won my first individual race, and then we began the relay. We were winning, and when it came time for my back-stroke leg of the race, I dove in. It was 25 yards down and 25 back....with a required flip-turn, which was no big deal...except on this day. For some reason, I flipped too soon and just barely touched the wall. Our team won the race, but afterwards, the judges had a long discussion about whether or not to disqualify us since they were not sure I touched the wall. (This was in the days before they could monitor that) I was terrified that we would lose because of me. After what seemed like hours, the win stood...I was so relieved, but you had better believe that I spent the next week of practice flipping and flipping and flipping. And I never let that happen again.



This is what comes from defeat. If not, then you might as well give up all together. Tonight, The Boy will pitch in what could be either his final game...or the lead up to the final championship game. I hope the team wins, and I hope The Boy plays well. But to be honest...I mostly just hope he plays hard and learns from the mistakes he made last night.



When he got home last night, he put on the Braves game and called me into his room. We laid on the bed together and talked a little about the players...he pointed out to me that one of his favorites had had a tough night...0 for 5 and an error. We smiled at each other...I knew what he was thinking. I gave him a hug and reminded him that tomorrow was a new day... And he reminded me of what it is like to be 11...Oh, I love The Boy...


So until tomorrow, when there are games to be played and lessons to be learned...

No comments: