Monday, June 1, 2009

Trivial Pursuit

A few days ago, The Husband sent me the following forward that a friend had sent him. Now I hate forwards. If I don't know who sent it (and sometimes even when I do), I delete them. But the following information was so random and interesting that I'm going to share it. You won't necessarily be any smarter after you read this, but you will be a little more useful on Trivia Night.

1) No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver or purple. ( I promise...I spent half an hour testing this one out.)

2) 'Dreamt' is the only word in the English language that ends in the letters 'mt'.

3) Our eyes are always the same size from birth. (How can that be?)

4) The sentence 'The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' uses every letter of the alphabet.

5) The words 'racecar', 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read from left to right or right to left. (palindromes)

6) 'Typewriter' is the longest word that can be made as using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

7) A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100 of a second. (This will definitely affect how I use this word in the future...)

8) A snail can sleep for three years. ( The Boy can too)

9) Babies are born without kneecaps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2 to 6 years of age. (How can I have had 4 babies and not know this?)



10) In the last 4,000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.



11) If the population of China walked past you, 8 abreast, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

12) Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors. (Doesn't that sound like the title to a novel?)



13) Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite. (I have no way to disprove this one)

14) The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

15) There are more chickens in the world than people.

16) Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

17) Women blink nearly twice as much as men. ( I spent 10 minutes trying to come up with a smart alec comment on this one, but I've got nothing...)

Don't you just love useless yet interesting information? I have no idea when I will be able to use any of this, but I'm sure I'll work it in somewhere...



One more random piece of information. I had been looking forward to that movie "New in Town" with Harry Connick jr and Renee Zellwegger coming out on video. The Husband and I had meant to go see it at the theater, but never made it. I went ahead and bought it last week, certain that it would be a 'repeat' choice. Bad decision. It was very mediocre. Harry is always fun to watch...I loved him in Will and Grace. And I sometimes like Renee...depending on the movie. But this one was very slow. Every funny scene in the movie was shown in the previews (don't you hate when they do that?).

The next movie I am counting the days for is 'The Proposal' with Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock. I've watched that 'Definitely Maybe' with him in it a million times. And she is just so cute...plus it looks like her clothes will be neat. If it isn't good, I am going to be really disappointed.


And one more thing...the Bachelorette....what is with this guy Wes? I mean, he sings ok, but come on, does she not think that maybe he's just there to promote a music career? I think I'd ask him to put up the guitar. And the foot fetish guy...he's creeping me out. The guy I liked originally, David. is crazy.... total anger management issues...scary. I officially admit that my first impressions were obviously wrong. The Juan guy is way too smooth. She sent home the Sasha guy who actually seemed 'with it 'and nice, too. She sent him home because he had "never had his heart broken". I didn't understand that at all. And here's the thing...it's really girlie when the guys go to Jillian and say "there are guys here that aren't here for you". Come on guys...she's a big girl...let her figure it out for herself.....A couple of the guys seem ok, like Kato or Katar or Kipper or whatever the heck his name is... but I don't trust my judgement anymore. And besides...I'm very embarrassed that I'm watching it anyway...

So until tomorrow, when it is Tuesday trivia somewhere, and you will be armed with some great information........

No comments: