Monday, June 22, 2009

On Summer camp and The Proposal

I'm missing the golfers this morning. The view from my home window just doesn't compare with the view at Grandma's house. But the positive side of this is that I am getting more writing done. I must spend more time than I thought staring out the window at Grandma's...or it could be that the kids are at camp this morning and I have no distractions?? I'm choosing the latter...

I love summer time. I love the later mornings, the relaxed tempo of the day and the time spent with the kids. HOWEVER, I am definitely enjoying this little mini-break this morning. The Boy is at basketball camp until noon. He will jump into the car in a really good mood (because all of his friends and his favorite coach are at the camp) and he will announce "I am starving". So off we will go to a fast-food joint where he will tell me all about camp while he downs several burgers. This is precious time spent alone with him that I treasure. A little voice inside my head says "It won't be long until he not only won't want to do this, but he WON'T do this).
Little One is at regular summer camp where they do all sorts of fun activities. The best part of her day will be the fact that her best friend is there, too. Anything done with the BFF is fun. I am already prepared for the "Can we have a sleepover?" request.

Even though I enjoy the dynamic of the summer time spent with kids, these few hours feel like little gems. I like the quiet. I always have. 3 hours with no requests is...heaven.

Now on to the good news: the movie The Proposal was just SO good. In the words of The Husband: "It exceeded expectations". On the way to the movie, The Husband and the BFF of the Husband were moaning and complaining about seeing this movie. Of course, we women just ignored them (as usual) knowing that they are not really happy unless they get to complain. Once we sat down in the theater, they began their pre-chick-flick routine of sending dopey messages back-and-forth to each other on their blackberrys. The last one I saw before the movie started was "This movie blows". (I know, hard to believe a grown man says this.) The response to this was "It hasn't even started." The response: "Just guessing". Real comedians.

Imagine my delight when the first words out of The Husband's mouth after the movie were "That was really good. Really funny." He even suggested we see it again! And the BFF was in total agreement. THEN, he made the complete faux-pas of rating it an A-, forgetting momentarily that the rule made several years ago states that "If the men give a chick-flick an A rating...the girls get the next 2 picks". The Husband claims he doesn't remember this rule...but too bad.

I do not want to spoil the movie for anyone, so I am not going to give anything away. What I can say is that I laughed so hard I cried at various points during the movie. Sandra Bullock is darling. Ryan Reynolds is adorable. And they have terrific, believable chemistry. And be sure not to leave until you are SURE the movie is over, because the last post-movie scene is just hilarious. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. As a side-note, the scenery and the clothes are also gorgeous. It supposedly takes place in Alaska, and I don't know if that is where they filmed it, but it is beautiful. Bullock's clothes are stunning...the 5 inch Laboutin heels in the first scene were perfect, and her skirt and blouse in the final scene were SO pretty and chic. I also have to say that whoever dressed Reynolds should be congratulated. It's not often that I notice the man's clothes, but his were perfect, too. From the suit in the opening scene ($100 says it was Dolce and Gabanna) to the casual jeans and hoodie in the Alaska scenes...he looked great.

Ok, so that's it for today. 2 more hours of peace and quiet...I must take advantage.

Until tomorrow, when we go back to the hair salon in search of Sandra Bullock's hairstyle...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!!:) Can't wait to see that movie:)

KC said...

the louboutin heels in the ads had me hooked :) i'm definitely going now!