Sunday, June 14, 2009

"The Only Reason We Ask People How Their Weekend Was Is So We Can Tell Them About Our Own."

It was a good, summer weekend. When I signed off Friday, we headed down to Atlanta for the big game of the baseball tournament. This was the one they really wanted to win...but they didn't. After holding the lead all game, things fell apart in the last inning, and they lost. They brought The Boy in to pitch in the middle of the free-fall, but it wasn't his day. He did his best, but his best didn't do it. It was a quiet walk to the car. I tried to hug him, but wanted to be left alone. Little One was having one of the player's sisters over to spend the night, so that was a distraction.


The Husband decided we would have a nice meal at the place of our first date on the way home. The kids had little to zero interest in that history, but I kind of liked it. I replicated what I ordered on our first date, and low and behold, The Husband remembered. "Is that really what you want or are you just reliving history?" Both, I answered. He rolled his eyes a little, but he also smiled.


The next day, we headed back to play our final game of the season for the travel ball team. Thank goodness we won and everyone played well. A great way to close out the season. And then 11 boys, 5 sisters and 15 adults headed to ESPN Zone to eat and play video games. It was surprisingly un-chaotic and fun. It was kind of like the last day of school. Even though most of the boys will play All Stars together starting next week, some would not, so there were good byes to be said. All in all, good fun...and then The Husband and I had a stroke of luck. One of the moms on the team invited The Boy and Little One to come and spend the night with her Boy and Little one. Now this is a mom that I love and fully trust, so not only did it mean we would have a free night...but also a non-worrying free night (and all you parents out there will fully understand that).


So The Husband and I headed home in a quiet car and debated what we should do with our free evening. I surprised him by suggesting that we go see the Gwinnett Braves since he had tickets. I could tell he was pleasantly surprised, probably fearing a request for some chick-flick or romantic dinner. It was a beautiful evening for MORE baseball and we had a good time. Topped it off with wings at Fridays on our way home...and it just doesn't get better than that.


Sunday, The Husband surprised me with an offer to pick up the kids...thus leaving me with a basically free day. It was heaven. I cleaned up, which took a surprisingly small amount of time since I had no little voices to interrupt me. I did the big grocery trip for the week...and then I headed to TJ Maxx for...well, I wasn't sure what. But I came away with some Swell purchases:


1) turquoise one piece swimsuit that I can race the kids in...


2) Spoon rest that matches the dishes that my mother-in-law had at the house...this gave me an inordinate amount of joy...


3) 2 gorgeous strapless dresses, one turquoise and one beige...each $19.99...such a Steal (The Boy loves it when I say that....The Husband thinks my perspective on Steals is skewed when it comes to cute clothes...)


4) Anne Klein T-strap wedges in python print...oh my goodness are they gorgeous...and you guessed it....a steal.


5) Lotion from the French Line of Roc which I love...and lastly,


6) Two journals with vintage french prints on the front...one will have to go to Big Sister since she graciously did The Boy's laundry for me (no washer at Grandma's House)


It was a great shopping day...and then the kiddies came home all happy because THEY had had fun too.


All in all , a great weekend. So until tomorrow when I get closer and closer to changing my blog address to cestlaviegirl.blogspot.com.....this will happen on Thursday! Please note that once it changes, you won't be able to find me at the old address!



A few quick shout-outs:... to beloved niece, who made me laugh with her description of her coffee preference after reading Friday's blog...an assurance to brother-in-law that I will keep him posted on All Stars.... a reminder that Big Sister is selling her terrific jewelry at thelittlejewelrybox.blogspot.com...a congratulations to The Rebel on her "move"...and a big thank you to the family for a lovely weekend...

So until tomorrow, when the talk turns to power struggles and the sock drawer...

No comments: