Friday, June 19, 2009

On Conversing, Prada and Father's Day

Today will be a mini-blog today because it is Friday and I already hear little voices coming from the far room, which means that Little One and her BFF will be in here in approximately 5 minutes requesting a 3 course breakfast...so here we go..

1) I've started a wonderful book entitled The Art of Conversation by Catherine Blyth. It is well-written and researched, and so far the gist of the book is that with the technological age we are in, true conversation is becoming a lost art form. We are so busy on facebook and texting and on our cell phones that we have forgotten how to make polite conversation. I was loving every line of this book...underlining and highlighting away, until I got to the following quote: "We think we're shy. We don't realize how arrogant, selfish, and idle we seem." Uh oh. My defensive antennae went up. I was born shy and I am still shy...and I tend to hide behind this excuse in social situations, so I felt a little busted when I read this. I always joke with my friends that I only have a certain number of words in me a day. When I reach that number, I just cannot talk anymore. After reading this book so far...I am asking myself if I CAN'T talk anymore, or if i just do not want to talk anymore. I fear it is the latter...and I do think that is a bit arrogant and selfish. Don't you hate it when you read something that you are forced to agree with, thus meaning that you will have to work on your behavior....

2) Heads up to my lovely niece...the Prada fall preview is on Saks.com this morning. I do not own anything from Prada due to the price point...but after viewing this preview today, I am going to cross my fingers and hope for a pre-sale..(Ok, the strapless black dress with the white blouse underneath is just beyond fabulous). Of course , the Husband is now muttering something about "How many black dresses can one woman have?"

3) Congratulations to The Little One who made the All Star team in softball. She had her first practice last night and overcame her fear that the coach would be "too strict". Congratulations to me also, who discovered that my favorite mom from the regular season...the one who makes me laugh.. well, her daughter also made it...making me feel a little better about having to sit through 2 hour practices....

4) For Thomas: "You know I always wanted to pretend that I was an architect."

5) An early Happy Father's Day to The Husband. Few fathers put in the time and effort that you do. It continues to be a pleasure to ride the roller coaster with you...I love you.

That's it for today. This weekend marks the opening of The Proposal, the movie I have been dying to see...Please let it not be a disappointment...

So until Monday, when I am sad to say that I will be back home writing since the kids have camp...and missing my view of the golf course I'm sure...

No comments: