Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"God Has No Religion" Ghandi

Well, today I was suppose to write about power struggles and the sock drawer. Now as riveting as that tease probably sounded, I am going to have to delay that for a day. I received an e-mail this morning from the Tony Blair website. I have written about this site before because I admire him so much. This particular message was about a Faith Initiative that he is beginning that will educate kids on different faiths and religions in order to create a sesnse of tolerance throughout the world. I think this is an amazing idea. It sounds fairly benign...like it is nothing new. but really think about it. If kids are taught early that we all worship in different ways, but they are all to be respected, I think we might be on to something here.

I am a religious person. I know that is not a popular thing to say these days, but I am. It is much more p/c to say "I am a spiritual person", because this sounds somehow more cool...as though you have just come from yoga and are ready to meditate. But in my heart, it goes further than that.

I was raised by a Lutheran and a Southern Baptist. Very conservative on both sides. My dad's mom didn't dance or wear make up. This would not have worked for me. I like my make up and I like to dance. My mom's mom didn't curse, smoke or drink. No problem on any of those, although these days I do like my occasional glass of wine.

My problem with the Baptist church, and this is purely personal, is that being a shy person, I never felt the need to stand up in front of the church and proclaim my feelings. I always believed God knew where I stood, and I didn't like all that pressure about being so demonstrative. When I went to church camp with my cousins at age 10, everyone had a "conversion" except for me. I'm pretty sure they all thought I was sac-religious, but I just couldn't manufacture feelings like that on the spot. However, I always appreciated and respected the fact that they could and did.

I grew up in the Methodist church. This was good mid-way ground. Methodists have similar beliefs to Catholics and Baptists...somewhere in between...but without any drama. I was happy in the church growing up. I always liked going to church, never complained. But as I got older, I found myself searching a little deeper. I read and believed in the words of the Bible, but I was interested in other religions too. After travelling in France and attending many Catholic churches, I was convinced I would might like to be Catholic one day. Ironically, The Husband had been raised Catholic, so this became my path after I met him.. Now The Husband was what I would refer to as a closet Catholic. This was the church he claimed on any forms he filled out...the way he said he wanted his kids raised...but as far as the last time he had been to Mass???? Well, let me put it this way, when I went through conversion classes, I learned things he never knew. In the end, I didn't convert, because if you are not born Catholic, and you happen to be divorced with kids...there are some difficult hoops to jump through. But I did attend for several years with the little ones (notice I didn't say The Husband) and I loved every minute of it. I loved the tradition. I loved the ritual. I loved the beauty.

I also like the Jewish religion. In fact, (and believe me, I get the ridiculousness of what I am about to say), my favorite Sex and the City episodes are when Charlotte converts to Judaism for Harry. Again, I love all of the tradition and the ritual...I admire the history...but like Charlotte, I would have trouble giving up some Christian traditions...not to mention the fact that I just really believe that Christ has been here already. I think maybe that would be the deal-breaker for me....However, doing it for Harry...I can understand.

These days we attend a really great Methodist church. Our minister is one of the coolest women I have ever known, not to mention the wisest. I feel like I could learn from her my whole life.But I still enjoy exploring other beliefs. I like the principles of Buddhism. I think Christ would have liked that Mr.Buddha...

The Boy bases his church-going on how long the services are and if he has to wear a button-down shirt. If we go to the "contemporary" service where he can wear shorts and a t-shirt, and they play the drums and guitar, he is happy. Little One is content if she gets to give the offering and fill out the information card. And I am pleased to say that The Husband is always in attendance. He admires the "priest" in his words, though he threatens that he won't go anymore if she leaves....he even puts the blackberry on silent for 42 minutes....

So until tomorrow, when I will be happy that I am not only spiritual, but religious too, and I will pray with the Little One, who says "Now I lay me down to sleep, pray the world my soul asleep. angels watch me over night, keep me safe till I am right".....which just goes to show that you don't have to say it right, you just have to say it...

And again, beginning Thursday, this blog will be found under the address www.cestlaviegirl.blogspot.com...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you, and I am glad you are more than "spiritual." :) Very thoughtful blog.