Friday, June 26, 2009

On Michael Jackson

Little One had softball practice last night, and on the way there, she requested we listen to "ABC" by Michael Jackson. This CD has been in my car all year long...it is one of the few we could all agree on during the morning ride to school. Once we got to practice, my friend Kathy asked me if I'd heard that Jackson had had a heart attack. I was dumb-founded. We went for a walk and discussed how surely he would be ok. Minutes later, a friend of hers called and said he was dead. We looked at each other in shock. The rest of practice, we mothers sat stunned by this news.

I tried to watch the news coverage last night, but I didn't want to listen to the speculation about his drug-use. I just wish they would let some respectful time go by before that stuff starts. I grew up listening to Michael Jackson. I think I had every album (and yeah, that was when they were called albums) he ever made. I was lucky enough to get to see him in concert when I was older. It was an amazing concert...I remember everyone stood on their chairs the whole time, awe-struck by his dancing. The day before the concert, I remember being at the mall and reading a magazine about Michael. I was looking at several photographs of him...and when I looked up, I saw a man down the mall who was in the pictures! I kept looking at the picture and then looking at the man...As previously discussed, I was not someone who would ever approach someone I did not know...but I was so riveted by seeing this guy that I went up to him and asked him if he knew Michael Jackson. He said yes...he was a body-guard for him. That made sense because he was in the background of every picture....so there you go....my tie to Michael Jackson.

The best thing I heard on the news last night before I turned off my tv was Heraldo Rivera's claim that all of those sordid allegations that came out about Jackson a few years ago were untrue. He says that Jackson was accused falsely time and time again by unsavory characters who saw a chance for big money. He claims that was the downfall of Jackson, who could never recover from the shame, humiliation and disgrace of those allegations. I wish the press would have been as kind back in those days. I think I always thought those things might be true...even though he was acquitted...because the press kind of inferred it....very sad.

I was so hopeful that his upcoming tour would re-vive his life and reputation. He sold out an amazing number of shows in London already. It now seems that the pressure of those upcoming dates may have played a part in his death. Isn't it sad that he didn't have someone to step in and help him? How can the most famous person in the world be so alone in some ways? It makes me want to cry...

On another sad note, I can't believe Farrah Fawcett has died so young...and in such a tragic way. I was holding out hope that she would be able to win her battle with cancer. I think she was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. A friend of mine showed me a picture of her last night that her cousin had sent her. It was a personal photo...one I had never seen...and maybe the most beautiful picture of her I had ever seen. Even at 62, she was stunning.

So until tomorrow, when hopefully the news will be happier...

No comments: