Monday, June 8, 2009

Happy Birthday to Little One

It was a fun weekend. The Boy had a baseball travel tournament in Cherokee, North Carolina. These are always fun, but this one was especially great since we won all four games and the tournament.

When I was a little girl, my 3 brothers played baseball and my dad was the coach. This meant that when I was not practicing for the swim team or swimming at a meet, I was at the ball park. These are such good memories for me. I would sit in the dug out and keep score for my dad. Most of the time, I had a crush on one of the players, especially as I got older. Of course they never knew it, as I probably didn't say 5 words all season. But that didn't stop me from loving every minute of it.

Big Sister asked me last night if I get tired sometimes of all of The Boy's baseball. The last few months have been consumed with ball, and when All Stars begin next week, it will continue. I explained to her that I don't at all. It brings back those good feelings of when I was a little girl. I like being at the park. These days, we have a really nice group of parents who have become friends over the course of the season. A couple of the moms have become my really good friends, and I am so thankful for that at a point in life when you don't expect to make new friends as much anymore(especially me, who it takes a while to bond with).

We generally stay at a mediocre hotel and eat lots of junky food all weekend, but the boys have a blast, the little sisters wear their "baseball sisters" t-shirts and cheer....and the parents hoot and holler and behave in altogether embarrassing, but fun ways...

On another subject, today is the Little One's birthday. She will be 10 years old this afternoon around 2:00. I was thinking last night that maybe 10 years old is the cut-off for being called the Little One...but I have decided that in an effort not to break my heart, I will extend that age until 12 years old....so Happy Birthday to the Little One, who will have her best friend over to spend the night. They will skate on the driveway since she is getting new in-line skates...they will watch videos until late...and they will eat a gorgeous chocolate cake with a purple and yellow kitten in icing....the perfect 10 year old day....

And one more random, yet important subject...the Big Sister has become a jewelry-maker. She has started a little business on www.thelittlejewelrybox.blogspot.com. Her designs are really creative and unique...not to mention reasonably priced. I have already received many compliments on the earrings and necklace she made for me. If you go to her site and buy something, please let her know you heard it here....and maybe she will give me a discount on my next purchase...

So until tomorrow, when the Little One will not be so little any more...

No comments: