Thursday, July 2, 2009

What Are You Doing Up?

In what may added to the seven wonders of the world, The Boy is up and going. The sprinklers have just started on the golf course and the lawn mowers are out, but it is too early for the golfers. On a typical summer morning where we have nothing to do, I usually don't see The Boy until 11:00. He is a true night owl, and he comes by it honestly, so as long as he accomplishes all chores and responsibilities, I am fine with this. So imagine my shock when I head into the kitchen to make coffee and see the goofy smiling face greeting me with a "Yo, what's up mommy?"

He won his game last night. When it was all said and done, the score was 18-6. There were some tense moments, but all in all, it was an easy one. For anyone interested, and because I am his mom and this is my blog, he had 2 doubles, one single and 2 walks. This was a good game for him...and much needed after the previous night. The great news is, his team lives to see another night. The tough news is that they have to beat the team that beat them the other day twice to win the championship. Now this is definitely doable, but it will be a challenge.

Back to this morning...I sense that The Boy is up because he is nervous/excited. Chances are, he will pitch tonight. Last night, he said "What if they tee off on me?" And dad wisely answered "So what. You fight. You battle. You tee off on them." This seemed to appease him, but I have a feeling he thought about it all night. So this morning, I will sit here and come up with something fun and distracting to do today so that all thoughts are not on tonight's game. I will break my cardinal rule of healthy breakfasts and go pick up some 1,000 calorie biscuit so that he will smile and enjoy it. And I will say a little prayer that win or lose, he will come home tonight with the same goofy smile on his face that greeted me this morning...

Meanwhile, the Little One sleeps....an unusual occurrence past the crack of dawn. Go figure...she will wake up and say to her brother, "What the heck are you doing up?" And then she will say to me "I'm starving" ...

So until tomorrow, when I suspect that win or lose, schedules and life will return to normal...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

No comments: