Monday, July 27, 2009

On The Art of Flirtation...and Whether or not That Involves Eating Paper

I was watching the trailer for the movie Julia and Julie over the weekend. It was such a good book, and I was thinking about how my blog motives are similar. Not that I expect a movie to be made from my humble blog, but I always had the idea that after a year or so, I could put together kind of a "best of" selection and publish a book called "My Year in Blog". I guess that means I have several months to go...unless I decide to quit again...

The difficult thing about writing this blog is trying to balance privacy and truth. I have to pass up so many good stories because it would just be a total violation of my family's (Husband's) privacy...so often I am left with the watered-down version...

As previously stated, last week we kept the center-fielder from The Boy's baseball team for the week. This was done for several reasons..mostly convenience...but he was just a joy to have. He pitched in with chores, minded his manners, and participated in everything. But the most interesting part of his stay was the reaction of Little One. Now anyone who knows Little One knows that she barely speaks outside the family. Inside these walls...total pill, but outside, really shy. So imagine my surprise when she walks into the family room one night last week and asks The Boy and Center-fielder..let's call him X for short, to vote on which pitching motion she should use. The Boy was watching the Braves game, so he ignored her. But X, being the nice kid he is, pretended to be totally mesmerized by her pitching motion...he even voted on his favorite.
At first, I thought this was just the Little One respecting the opinion of X. Afterall, he is quite a good player, and I figured she viewed him as an expert opinion. However, the next morning, when she walked out of her bedroom with her hair brushed for the first time in history...it dawned on me that perhaps it was something else...

Last year, at Little One's end-of-the-year basketball party, The Boy entertained the girls with his antics. He had been a quasi-coach all year, and being 2 years older than them, he took on an air of both superiority and condescension. However, at his party, both Boy and team seem to let their hair down...and before I knew it, The Boy was eating his napkin in order to impress...kind of like a peacock and his feathers....This was a technique I had never seen...and so I asked The Husband if he had also used the "Paper-eating" flirt technique. The Husband reminded me that he had never flirted in his life...and I had to agree with him. He is much to blunt for flirting.

I grew up with 3 brothers, so I never flirted either. Every male I have ever met is just a "brother extension"....I would say that the closest I ever got to flirting was complete silence.

When I discussed this with Big Sister, she reminded me that she was not a flirt, but that her little sister (who I am no longer referring to as The Rebel), was and is the Queen of Flirt. I had to agree with that. Though I had never witnessed her eating paper to impress...I have seen her put on a pretty good show.

I have to wrap up for today...so until tomorrow, when we will continue the discussion about the art of flirting...and whether or not it includes eating paper...

No comments: