Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"Fashion Fades, Style is Eternal"

A few times a year, Vogue puts together a top 20 list. This list includes the top 20 pieces you should have in your wardrobe. Though interesting, it can range anywhere from enlightening to ridiculous. I can't imagine that anyone would run out and buy the 20 recommendations, but I guess it never hurts to hear what Anna Wintour (Vogue editor) thinks will be in style this fall.

June's issue, with the ever-lovely Cameron Diaz on the cover, has the "21 Pieces that go from day to night." We'll take a couple of days to examine these pieces.

1) Tailored Blazer. The "anchor" of the season. I totally agree. I am always adding blazers to my closet when I find them on sale. My old-stand-by, J Crew, has some well-cut, beautiful blazers. They are pricey, but if you watch, you can catch them on sale occasionally. The good thing about them is that they never really go out of style. They may tweak them a bit from season to season, but a good one will always work. I like black, but I've had a brown tweed for about 15 years that goes with everything from jeans to dresses.

2)Romantic Blouse. Ok, I know these are in right now, and they can be very beautiful. But they never work on me. I'm too tall for anything fussy. Having said that, nothing is prettier than a pair of jeans, heels and a flowy, bohemian blouse.

3)Dressed-Up Shorts. No. Never. I just do not care for dressy shorts. I think shorts are meant to be casual. Remember the next-to-last scene in the movie Pretty Woman where she wears the coral -colored shorts and matching blazer. It was the only outfit in the whole movie that I didn't like. I mean, Julia Roberts looked gorgeous in it, but I just think: shorts: baseball field.

4)Floaty Tunic. Let's put these up for awhile. I think Tory Burch started the whole tunic thing, and they can be very pretty. But now that they have found their way down to Target, they have just lost their appeal to me. If they are cheaply made, they look shapeless. And really, how often can you wear it? Just doesn't seem like a wardrobe staple to me.

5) Sequined T-Shirt. Cruise or rock concert. Enough said.

6) Sleek Bustier. I love these, but honestly, again, not a staple. Very pretty and sexy under a blazer...but not work-appropriate.

7)Sporty Tank. Absolutely. I have a million of these. they are great by themselves on a really hot day at the ball park, but mostly I layer them with other things. The important thing is to invest in a decent quality tank...not too thin or low...or it just looks...bad. Once again, J Crew has some terrific ones, but Target has some that are fine, and Walmart has the new Norma Kamali line that sports some terrific tanks.

8)Cropped Khakis. Ok, now there are some things that I cannot wear because I am so tall. So I feel comfortable saying that cropped khakis are just better on someone with leg-length. Otherwise, they make your legs look even shorter. Gap makes the perfect cropped khaki for a reasonable price. And the cargo-cropped pants from JCrew are fabulous. I have them in every color and I live in them. They are cute with flip-flops, but really cool with heels and a more dressy top.

9) Metallic Jacket. I don't know on this one. I don't have one...I like a bit of metallic, but a full jacket is too much for me. However, if someone offered me the Balenciaga that they are showing in Vogue...I'd wear it everywhere.

10) Dotted Blouse. Again, not really me, but The Little One has one that is very cute. Maybe that says it all.

Ok, that's enough analysing for today. Again, all opinions here are personal and totally based on my wardrobe and experience. These days I am more likely to be sporting jeans and a tank, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a great skirt and heels occasionally...

So until tomorrow, when we will cover the next 10...

No comments: