Sunday, July 12, 2009

If You Want To Know How Your Girl Will Treat You After You're Married, Listen to How She Talks to Her Brother

I was lucky enough to spend the weekend with my 3 brothers. After our mom passed away 7 months ago, we promised to get together as often as possible. But life and distance have made that difficult, so what a thrill it was when we all were able at the last minute to come together at my big brother's place on the lake in Tennessee.



I have the best three brothers in the world. It sounds like a juvenile statement, something a 10 yr. old would say, but it's the truth. I was the only girl in a house of baseball and basketball...and I loved every minute of it. My brothers treated me like one of the guys, always including me in everything. But they also appreciated my feminine side, and were generous with compliments and protecti0n.



My oldest brother is almost 10 years older than me, We didn't do a lot together growing up due to the age difference, but he did teach me to be a switch hitter, which was extremely important in our nightly neighborhood baseball games. When he was a senior in high school, he wanted to go to FSU on a basketball scholarship. I prayed every night for him to get it, and then when he did, I cried every night for a week, knowing he would be gone. The best gift I ever received was a musical jewelry box that he sent me from college the year he left. I still have and cherish that box, never forgetting how special I felt when I got it.


My next brother is a a few years older. We were basically together all through school. He included me in anything he did. In fact, when I was asked to my first dance at 14, and my mom said I was too young to go, it was my sweet brother who volunteered to take me and my date with he and his girlfriend. It was above and beyond the call of duty, and something he would do time and time again throughout our childhood. We spent hours together playing the guitar and singing...and I could talk to him about anything. Years later, during a time in my life when I was floundering a bit, he did his best to convince me to move near him. A job offer prevented me from doing it, but I have never forgotten his love and concern.


My little brother was my partner in crime. The older two seemed to figure out how to work their way around my extremely strict parents...but we younger two never did. We were always getting in trouble for pillow fights, riding our bikes too far away...or other similarly silly stuff. Our personalities are very similar...so much so that The Boy said we could have been married to each other (I really have to have a talk with The Boy).


So this past weekend, we came together with families and friends, nieces and nephews, and we found out that however sad it feels to be alone in the world without parents, we still have each other...and that is not so bad. I also learned that no matter how old we are, I will always be the little sister, which means that they are allowed to make fun of me all day every day...(although The Husband was the butt of his fair share this weekend for getting us lost...but that is a story for another blog).


I am thankful for a lovely weekend, visiting with the boys, meeting the new girlfriend, getting to chat with my wonderful sister-in-law (who is so special that she makes up for me not having any sisters)...and the chance to talk fashion and diet and exercise face-to-face with my lovely neice, who has inspired me to step up my workout routine...


So until tomorrow, when I will reflect on a great weekend, and prepare for the birthday of The Boy...

No comments: