Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Happy Birthday to The Boy

Where does the time go? One day you are craving Mexican food in your sixth month of pregnancy, and the next thing you know, your son is turning 12. In what has become a sort of annual event, The Husband has taken the day off, and he will take The Boy and a few friends on a fun-filled day of sports, swimming and eating. Mom is not really included in all of this, and has been asked to remain on the periphery for the day.

When I woke him up this morning, he was all smiles and jokes, reveling in the fact that this is HIS day...and mom is not around to edit or discipline. I would be happy if I were him too, because you know, even I get fed up with myself at times when I here the words "No more cokes" or "It's time for bed" or even "Turn that channel"coming out of my mouth. Being mom is a real pain at times...so even I am glad to have the day off. Little One is spending the night at the BFF house so she will not be "in the way"...so as it turns out, I am semi-free for the day....except to do stuff like find tennis shoes, retrieve sunscreen, set up sleeping bags, pick up the cake, etc.....

In an extremely enlightening discussion yesterday, The Boy, The Little One and the BFF had a discussion as we were driving down the street, on what careers they would pursue as adults. BFF told the Little One that they needed to be professional tennis players, as she had heard that if you decide to be one, you go to this place in England, sign up, and immediately receive one million dollars. Now the Little One agreed that she would do this in order to be "rich", but that she was going to also follow her dream of being an "animal helper". We have never really determined the specificity of this career. We only know that is is not a vet, as that is too yucky. It has more to do with rescuing and grooming....but she also claims that it is highly paid.....Now the BFF, in addition to being a tennis player, also wants to be a doctor, and possibly help Little One at her "animal place". ...I was so impressed by their ambition. Then The Boy, with all of his 12 years of knowledge, informed them that as an MLB player, he was going to make about "130 million". This seemed to stop all conversation...and Little One and BFF looked at him with a new-found respect, oohing and ahhing over his value. They did however agree that "The Queen still makes more than that"....???? Little One said, "But are there still Queens?" And BFF answered, "I think in England". ...so it was all solved. The Boy of course looked over at me and rolled his eyes...because everyone knows the Queen could never make more than 130 million...

And so today, I will marvel at the fact that my little boy is 12, enjoy a break from being "mom", and look forward to the day that I can watch The Boy play for the Braves...and relax, secure in the knowledge that he will be making 130 million , and well able to take care of the rest of us...

So until tomorrow, when my kids will be older...and I will hopefully be wiser...and I might also head to England to become a professional tennis player and collect my million dollars...

No comments: