Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Only Great Minds Can Afford A Simple Style

I guess I should have stipulated yesterday that the Top 20 list is in WOMEN's Vogue...therefore, there will be no men's items. I thought this might be self-explanatory, but evidently, by reader response, it was not...



I would also like to briefly respond to the brother-in-law sarcasm by stating that the last 10 daily entries have been sports-related, so a brief sojourn into the fashion world should have been expected...NOW on with the list...



11) Black Pants. This is a very non-creative addition to the list. Black pants have been on every list since the beginning of time. I guess that is because when all else fails, you wear the black pants. I have a pair of Joseph black pants that I bought in New York 8 years ago. They are quite plain except for little ties on the sides about halfway down the outside seam. If I can't figure out what to wear somewhere, or nothing seems to look right, I wear these pants with a white blouse and call it a day.



12)Classic Button-Down. Another no-brainer. These are terrific with just about anything. I especially like to wear them with a more dressy skirt...kind of like when Sharon Stone wore that long black skirt with her husband's white button-down to the Oscars...it was so chic. They also make terrific swimsuit cover-ups.

13)Textured Skirts. I love skirts. They are the true "staple" of my wardrobe. I collect them in any length, pattern or color. I have a beautiful cream-colored lace prairie skirt that is 15 years old. It sounds hideous, but paired with a blue button-down and a tweed blazer and boots, it is gorgeous. My favorite is the pencil skirt. I can never get enough of these. My last 2 came from J Crew. They are cream colored at the top, then ombre at the bottom. One in yellow and one in blue. I LOVE them. I can dress them up or down. I bought one in a smaller size because the tighter fit looks better with high-heels. The looser one looks better with a lower heel.

14)Boyfriend Blazer. Again, I don't have to be sold on the merits of a good blazer, boy-friend or not. They pair up with so many different things, which makes it versatile in a wardrobe.

15)Two-toned Oxford. These are nice, but again, more of an extra than a staple, for me. If I am trying to keep my wardrobe paired-down..I won't be buying this one.

16)White Jeans. I agree with this one, but it is hard to find the right pair...and if you have any extra weight, they are not a good choice. The key is to find a heavy enough denim so that you cannot see through them. That said, if you find the right pair, you can wear them with a hundred different tops and jackets, so they are truly versatile.

17)Bold-Shouldered Tops. Well, not for me. I have narrow shoulders, so bold shoulders are ok, but this in not a wardrobe staple. This is a trend...

18)Pastel Cardigan. Very Jackie Kennedy and very elegant. Cute with jeans, skirts..or over a sleeveless dress...J Crew has them in cotton or cashmere, according to what you want to pay.

19)Print day Dresses. I don't buy dresses by trend. I buy them by fit. If a dress fits me well, I don't care if it is in or out of style. So this one could go either way for me.

20) Tuxedo Vest. I love vests. I collect all different kinds...so I actually have a tuxedo vest, and I love it. But I don't really see it as a staple...especially if you don't like vests.

That's it for the Vogue list, but let me add one item....I don't think you can have a "list" without mentioning the trench coat. It's a boring addition, but nothing looks more chic than a really cool trench. I own 5 that I have collected over the years. A pink linen that is rarely worn because it is so beautiful that I am afraid of messing it up. A purple velvet from Boden that looks great with dressier clothes. A metallic grey that works with anything, especially when it is raining. A patterned Singrid Olsen that I bought for a song at TJ Maxx that I get compliments on whenever I wear it...and my favorite...a cream-colored Boden with navy and chocolate trim and frayed seams....perfect with jeans.

So until tomorrow, when I will scour Men's Vogue and GQ and see if I can come up with a list for men...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure I agree with #16. I think you can be curvy and pull of the right pair:)!