Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Random Acts of Patience

I was waiting in line at Target yesterday... a really long line. In front of me was an older couple, obviously enjoying themselves, chatting away with the check out girl. The man was telling her that he remembered her from their last visit. In fact, he said, she was one of the reasons they had come back to Target, because she was so friendly. Behind me, a group of collective sighs were so loud that I felt them practically push me forward. To be honest, I was feeling impatient too, having several more errands to accomplish. But as the couple left and I stepped forward, I was struck by the look on the cashier's face. Pure happiness. "Those people were so nice. They made my day. Said they came here because of me." She paused a minute. "I've had a lot of nice people lately. And then some really mean...but I just don't give them any thought." I smiled at her and took a deep breath. I hoped the people behind me had heard her. I had a quick flashback to my college days when I worked at the local shoe department in the mall 3 nights a week. I remembered how a kind person could literally make my day. And a nasty one could make me cry. I set my stuff out and began to chat with her about this and that. We wished each other a good day..and I was off to my next stop....

I dropped by Kohl's to pick up some sweats for The Boy. As I approached the register to pay, I noticed the line was once again very long. One lone weary-looking lady was ringing up. I considered putting my stuff back...but the sale price was too good...and The Boy needed some sweats...so I got in line. The next person decided to open an account. This sent the people in back of me over the edge. They started saying things like "She needs some back up. Where's her help?! They need more registers open." Well, the poor lady just continued to work, either oblivious to the comments...or not wishing to engage. When I finally reached the register, the lady behind me remarked to her, "You need some help."......The sales lady replied "I keep calling, but nobody comes." My heart went out to her. It was only about 11:00, and she looked exhausted. I felt like punching the lady behind me. Was it really worth making her feel bad? I mean, we hadn't been in line longer than 10 minutes. And it is the holiday season. Shouldn't we go in expecting that?

I thought about this all the way home. You hear a lot this time of year about "random acts of kindness". In fact, one of my best friends was just on the receiving end of some last weekend at the mall, when someone returned her debit card to her from the ATM. But maybe we should also be committing conscious acts of politeness and patience. In our texting, blackberrying, facebooking society...we have come to expect things to happen on our own schedule...and when it doesn't...we complain. From road rage...to the check out line...we feel the need to hurry everyone along...unless it is us. I'm not lecturing here...I'm as guilty of this as anyone else. I've caught myself honking a few times lately, anxious to get where I am going a few minutes faster. My initial reaction at Target was impatience when the older couple was chatting. I'm ashamed of that. What's the hurry? Isn't an extra moment to interact with someone...ask how they are...wish them a nice day....worth the time?

I'd been thinking lately of getting a blackberry...joining the world of the texters...It seemed like a good idea to be able to get a message to someone whenever the mood struck me......But today, I'm reconsidering this. Maybe...for me, at least...it's better not to encourage the idea that everything has to happen immediately. Maybe there is still some credence to the idea that we don't have to say it or do it the minute we think it. I'll give it some more thought...

So today, as I set out to run some errands, I'll remember that with each human interaction I make, I have the ability to make someone smile...or not. It is not a small thing....

Until tomorrow....

No comments: