Monday, December 21, 2009

On the Fourth day Of Christmas.....

We watched old videos from previous Christmases last night at The Boy's request. I asked him why he wanted to watch and he replied very honestly "Because I like to see myself on TV". I love watching these, though this year, it felt a little more sad than usual to watch. The videos are full of Grandma, and Grandmother and Grandfather...and they are no longer with us. Or as Little One so graciously put it "At least the dog and Grandpa are still alive". We marveled at how The Boy was such a chunky toddler and Little One was such a bubbly little thing. The Husband was guessing the year by the amount of hair he had...and I was guessing it by how pregnant I was. I was once again reminded that I am in charge of holidays now. I miss the times when it was a joint discussion and effort. But it's fine and good...if it is my time to be the "matriarch", so be it. I'll give it my best shot.

Friday night was a girl's night. I met up with Big Sis, The Senior and her friend Liz. And I brought along Little One and BFF for good measure. We ate at a new Italian restaurant, and we enjoyed it. Liz grew up in our house. In fact, she feels like another daughter. She is recently engaged, and I had done a painting for her as a wedding gift. I had seen a Kenton Nelson painting in a movie that not only looked like her, but reminded me of her...so I 'copied' it. It was so much fun to get to catch up with her...she is not only lovely, but she is hilarious. Big Sis was sweet to come straight from work...and The Senior was The Senior in all her glory....She has never met a waiter that she did not view as dating material, and that night was no different. Little One added to the entertainment my dropping her coke...but all in all, it was a great evening.

The rest of the weekend was low key. The Boy was at a spend-the-night party, so the house was strangely quiet. Little One and BFF watched a marathon of Mary-Kate and Asley movies...and I finished my Christmas cards.

As the "Big Day" gets closer, I can honestly say that I am ready. This is a good feeling...one that I rarely have 3 days out. We are headed to the beach Christmas Day...so there is packing to do too...

So today, with the kids home and the preparations ready, I will look forward to having the family here. I'm going to try and focus on the true meaning of Christmas, and I am hoping that I accomplish that as well as mom and dad did.

Until tomorrow, when The Tike is coming for a "sleep over"....

No comments: