Thursday, December 24, 2009

Merry Christmas

I cannot believe it is Christmas Eve already. This holiday season has flown past. Yesterday was a flurry of activity. The Tike had come for an overnight visit, and it was so much fun. I am fairly sure he has a career as an engineer in front of him. I had set out the train tracks, but he took about 4 hours to re-arrange and set up the way he liked them. He is his mother's son, as he talked and talked the entire time. The last few hours before his bedtime, I found myself responding in sign language, as my words for the day had been used up. My favorite part of his visit was when I kissed him goodnight, and I said "You are my guy." He kissed me sweetly and replied "No Noni, YOU are MY guy." I love that little guy.

This evening the immediate family will gather, and though it does not look like it use to look, it will be lovely. I am determined to focus on the future of the family, and not the past. I will remember mom and dad and grandma with love, but I will remember that life goes on...And so, on this Christmas Eve day, I am going to be indulgent and personal in my wishes:

1) Merry Christmas to Big Sis and SIL...I love you both and look forward to all that the new year brings....

2)To The Senior....you are so close, aren't you? Next year this time, you will be a grown up, huh? Enjoy each moment. and be proud that your biggest accomplishment is the adorable, loving Tike.

3) To The Boy and Little One...you keep me on my toes. You remind me that life is about the day to day routine. You make me laugh on a daily basis.

4) To all of my friends...most especially K....I love you guys. I love to laugh and you help me do that on a daily basis.

5) To my brothers....what can i say? i don't even know why I got such good ones. Every memory I have of you guys is amazing. You have always been there for me. (And I adore my funny niece!!)

6) To my brother and sister in law.....how lucky I am to have you in my family. There is history there that just cannot be replaced. I look forward to being with you soon.

7) To my father -in-law. I love you and respect you. You make me think and laugh too. I remember when you first met me...you weren't sure. A model//buyer was not that impressive in your book. And besides, I was fluent in french and not italian! But we were quick to bond...and you are a great teacher in many ways...

8) To my pastor. You are wise. I am thankful for your voice in my life. Just when things seem a bit much....you bring me back to the appreciation of life. You are a disciple of Christ.

And last but not least....The Husband. We have lived 50 years in the last 15, that is for sure. But as you reminded me recently, it's all a matter of perspective. I am extremely grateful for your ability to ride the waves in such a calm way. For all of my over-reactions...you are the under-reaction. And besides, like she said in the movie last night...'when all is said and done...he makes me laugh." Merry Christmas and I love you.

So that is it for today. As I go through the day wrapping and cooking....I will remember that this is the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. And in my life, he is not just a great man, or an interesting figure in history...but he is our Lord and Saviour. And in a tiny manger in Bethlehem, the shepherds were led to him by a bright star, and ever since, he has led the way for all of us.

Merry Christmas to all, near and far.....

No comments: