Thursday, December 10, 2009

On Loving Friends and Keeping it All in Perspective

I'm pre-blogging tonight. I spent the day translating the President's Nobel prize speech into french for some people. What had seemed like a fairly benign exercise ended up being more difficult since he used words like "nuclear stockpiles" and "intransigence" and "cultural leveling of modernenity".....not exactly my everyday french. But it was a good exercise and an interesting speech.



Tomorrow is the Little One's Christmas play. At 9:15 tonight, I realized that though I had made the 60 brownies I needed, I had forgotten the 60 small paper plates...oops...so a trip to the store was in order. I'm hopeful I don't wake up at 3:00am and remember something else I forgot.



A friend of mine is struggling. She does not read the blog, and she is not nearby, so I am not worried about invading her privacy here. For weeks, she has been alluding to a problem with one of her kids. I listened, but didn't inquire, because I just felt like she would talk when she was ready. Last night, she finally did. It all came spilling out. I wanted so badly to make her feel better. I wanted to let her know that after hearing the problem, I felt relieved. I wanted her to be able to step outside her life and look in for a minute, and see that everything would be ok...You know, "this too shall pass' and all of that. But you know, it is hard to see the picture when you're in it...and she cannot yet see that there is light at the end of this tunnel.



I've lived through similar 'stuff'. Not the same thing, but 'stuff'' that affects you the same way as a mom. After our conversation, I was acutely aware that I am at a very sweet point in my life....I have weathered the storms of the Big Sis and The Senior. They live responsible, loving lives now. They make their own decisions. On the other end of the spectrum are The Boy and Little One. They are not yet to the "scary years". They don't drive....date...etc, etc. They exhaust me more physically than emotionally. But those days are just around the corner.



So tonight, my heart and prayers go out to my friend. I want her to have some peace. I want her to have a good night's sleep. I want her to understand that better days are right around the corner. I just have to figure out how to help her see that....



As I prepare for Little One's cast party, I'll try and remember that these are the fun days...filled with the worries like "Do I have enough plates" or "Is her costume ok?".....It's all good...



Until tomorrow...

No comments: