Wednesday, December 16, 2009

On Being Careful What You Ask For...

There was a very funny article in the WSJ yesterday entitled "The Gift that Needs Forgiving". The gist of article was about the crazy gifts that men sometimes give at Christmas. There were stories of listerine, nasal strips and cases of chapstick. There was a fuzzy nightgown from WalMart with a picture of dogs with balls in their mouths on it. There were men's tennis shoes in a size not even close to the wife's foot...and it went on and on. The funniest line was "When you ask a man what he wants for Christmas, and he says "Nothing", he means it. When you ask a woman what she wants for Christmas and she says "Nothing", God help you if you believe her." This made me belly-laugh. I am guilty of this all of the time. I always tell The Husband "Don't worry about a gift"....but the few times he has semi-listened, I pouted.

I've written before in this blog about how The Husband is a great gift-giver. Stellar, really. If I never get another gift from him, he has done enough for a lifetime (Refer to above, Husband...I'm being gracious). Therefore, I feel like I can reveal the one time he slipped up on this title. The first year we were married, under the tree were matching scuba-diving suits...his and hers. Now, the problem with this was that we didn't scuba dive. Granted, we had gone for a couple of hours on our honeymoon....but that about summed it up. I hadn't asked for one....in fact, I was totally thrown for about a minute. Big Sis and the Senior were 'Little Ones' back then, and I remember them asking "What are those?" They have never forgotten about the scuba suits to this day...and when that particular memory comes up...many tears are shed in laughter. (Let me explain for The Husband. He loves Costco. You know that new show Modern Family? Well, did you see the episode where they went to Costco? Cam loves it...and his partner is a snob and makes fun of it, then buys out the store. This is exactly how it is with me and The Husband.....he LOVES it....I am the snob who somehow finds a cart load of "stuff" to buy......but I digress...I am absolutely positive that The Husband spotted those suits in Costco and thought to himself "Ooh..maybe we'll scuba dive one day...meanwhile, that's a great price")....and so that is the Story of the Scuba Suit Christmas.

So this year, as I search for the perfect present for The Husband, I'm thinking of hobbies that we might take up in the future....should I go with the bow and arrow? or perhaps a bowling ball? I'm not sure...I'd better head to Costco and check out the specials. And while I'm at it, I'll wrap up some contact solution and toothpaste...

Until tomorrow...

No comments: