Tuesday, December 8, 2009

On Sarcasm and War Games....

Last night, I watched 'Prep and Landing'...the new Christmas Disney show, with Little One. It was a very sweet story of some elves who messed up, and then redeemed themselves in time for Christmas. We both loved it...but I was really struck by how much sarcasm was in the show. Now I love sarcasm in it's proper place (and if I don't..I married the wrong guy, and I am friends with the wrong people)...but I don't know that it belongs on a kid's Christmas program. When you watch the old "Rudolph' or 'Frosty'...there is no sarcasm. No attempt at a "wink" to the adults. The problem with sarcasm is that your audience has to "get it"...or it just sounds mean. I worry that the little ones watching might not "get it". ...But other than that .....really cute.

The Boy made a list of games he wants for his Wii for Christmas. Now when we first bought him the Wii, the deal was that we would only get sports games to go with it. That way, I didn't have to worry about content. Well, our neighbor's son has a whole range of games and The Boy goes over and plays them on occasion. I consider him lucky that I don't go over and edit what he can do...he finds this notion appalling. So this year, he asked for something called Call Of Duty, World at War. He actually begged for it. And because I have been such a stickler on the "no phone" rule, I decided to bend. I ran to Target and asked the lady to get that game out for me. As she began to ring it up, she asked for my birthdate...Well, gosh, why would she need that? Turns out it's like an R rated movie...there is evidently so much violence and bad language in this game that you have to put an adult warning on it. Ok. No thank you. Had to hold up the line and have her void it. The thing is, I have nothing against boys playing 'war stuff'. My 3 brothers had about 1000 army men and they had daily battles all over the neighborhood. But there was no blood and gore, and certainly no bad language (well, that I ever heard). I just don't like the idea of my 12 year old watching these images over and over again. What's that I hear? A collective rolling of the eyes from my daughters.......TOO BAD. Remember, you all now thank me for not letting you watch 'Dawson's Creek' when you were 13.....

The Husband told me the latest rumor concerning Tiger...seems his wife has already bought a house in Sweden and is headed back there. "You'd already be in Paris, wouldn't you?" remarked The Husband. Well yes, I would. I didn't think that the first day, or maybe the second...but by the time the 5th woman had come 0ut with details....my ticket would have been processed. I think I am forgiving. I think I am realistic. I think I am able to evaluate my part in things......but I also believe in self-preservation. I hope this woman goes somewhere and surrounds herself with people who are kind and loving...and starts over. The end.

So that is it for today. The Husband is "working from home".....this means he is still sleeping. He has promised to bring home a tree today....and Little One has given her specifications....

Until tomorrow, with hopes of having a beautiful tree...and a day closer to the big Christmas play...






Until tomorrow....

1 comment:

r4 dsi said...

Hi..

I like to play the games and mostly find some info about gaming...

Because i am fond of gaming so this article is really helpful for me...