Friday, December 4, 2009

On Elf Costumes.....

I had to play hooky for a few days. I'd like to blame it on writing or painting, but that would be a lie. Just busy, everyday life stuff that needed addressing. Little One got her braces on, and unfortunately, she is in a lot of pain. I offered to let her stay home from school, but she bravely passed on the offer and said she could make it....but by the way, could I please deliver vanilla milkshakes for lunch each day since she cannot eat? Well, ok. No problem.



Meanwhile, the Christmas play is about a week away. I volunteered to co-coordinate this event...and I am happy to do so...but it suddenly dawned on me that this is an event where 50 kids and about 120 parents and grandparents have to be "refreshed". This means that a little more thought, effort, and yes, delegation, must go into the process. Now the play is "international" in subject...so we decided to put a little "European flair" into the whole production. Then we realized that the play only mentions sticky buns and potato cakes....so we had to take another direction. Back to donut holes and Christmas cookies.



The play also demands a costume. Little One and BFF are elves. Matching elves. So we spent several days online searching for elf costumes. We must have perused 100 websites for the appropriate costume...and finally, she settled on one. Now it only came in "one size fits all adults"...and Little One is VERY petite. So ever since it arrived the other day, I have been trying to get her to try it on. Well, last night, after basketball practice, on her way to bed, I made her put it on. Uh, it was a little big. Make that huge. So huge that The Husband even said "Can you take it in a little?"........A little?? Well, a tired Little One reverted back to 3 years old and threw the tantrum of a lifetime. I also reverted back somewhere ....and began reminding her that "when I was little, I would have had to make my own costume!!" .....Did I really say that? Yes, I did. And then I yelled at The Husband because....well...because he was there. And the The husband did what he always does in these situations....he whispered something under his breath which cannot be repeated....
So after a 30 minute scene, Little One calmed down. I promised to "work on" the costume and fix it to her specifications. I came downstairs and made a big show of not speaking to The Husband....and then I tried to channel the designers on Project Runway....blocking out the fact that I made a C+ in sewing in home economics (how old am I? I just said Home Ec).....I cut and trimmed and sewed....and guess what?Not bad!....Shorter, less puffy, sleeker....I was so proud of myself. When Little One came down this morning, I think I even saw a slight smile when she saw it. Now it still needs work....but I'm feeling confident in my skills.......wishing there was a runway competition at the end of the week to show it off....

So that is is for today. Off for the weekend to see my brothers. So until next week, when the big play is near.....

No comments: