Monday, August 24, 2009

Weekend Update

It was a long weekend, but that's a good thing, right? The Boy had a big "spend the night" to go to Friday night, so Little One and I dropped him off that afternoon. I strongly suggested that he be sure and get some sleep, because he had 2 baseball games to play Saturday evening. He left me with a hug and kiss and a mild assurance that he would do it. As he ran into the house greeting his friends, I had my doubts, but I crossed my fingers.

Little One was disappointed because the BFF had prior commitments...as did the 2 other friends she invited to spend the night. She was stuck with mom and dad for the night. So the three of us headed to one of our favorite little dinner places and had a nice meal...granted it was quiet meal, because The Boy is usually the talkative one at our table, but it was nice. And when we got home, I reminded Little One that she could play Webkinz on the computer to her little heart's content because The Boy wasn't here to fight her for the computer. So after hours of Disney Channel and Webkinz, she went to bed happy, even commenting on how it had been a 'cozy' evening.

I headed over to pick The Boy up the next morning, and one glance was worth a thousand words...he had had a "TERRIFIC" time, but had only gotten about 4 hours of sleep. The whole way home, he regaled me with stories from the previous night. Sleep had been impossible due to many reasons...but he assured me he wasn't tired. However, after a second breakfast at home, he headed upstairs, turned on his fan, and slept for 3 hours. I do believe this was the first time since he was 2 years old that he actually "took a nap".

That afternoon we headed to yet another baseball game. The Boy was a bit lethargic, but managed to play pretty well, even getting one of the game winning hits. As we drove home near midnight, his emotional comments gave him away, because at some point, lack of sleep catches up with all of us...even a 12 year old boy.

The next morning I headed to church by myself. I rarely do this, but do you ever have those mornings when you just don't feel like urging everyone else along? The Boy was attending the Braves game...a previous commitment that he was looking forward to...and he was being picked up before church was over. Little One was suspiciously not up yet, which means she was laying in bed hoping I would decide to stay home. The Husband was awake, but pretending not to be, and when I offered to go alone, he quickly agreed and turned back over to sleep. So I went alone and enjoyed the peace of listening to the sermon without having to constantly quiet the kids, keep showing them my watch...and tell The Husband to put the blackberry away...

The afternoon started out well. The Boy was at the game, The Husband had headed to another game, and Little One was out playing with BFF in the neighborhood. I was left on my own to switch back and forth between the Braves game and Food Network, where I learned how to cook Chicken a L'Orange for under $10. Unfortunately, halfway through the show, I got the dreaded call...This call is entitled: The Sisters Are Having A Fight and Mom is About To Be Put in the Middle". The jist of this fight is that Big Sister had lent (lent is a very loose term here) the Hannah Montanna movie that she had rented from Blockbuster to The Senior. The Senior had sworn on her life that she would return it in time...and big surprise...she had not done it. Now, the problem here was that Big Sis and SIL could not rent a movie until that one was returned. This had lead to the Big Sis calling and texting The Senior 543,000 times...and the Senior had done what she normally does under these circumstances...turned off her phone...SO, Mom was forced to intervene....calming down the Big Sis....lecturing The Senior on responsibility(who always responds to this by saying "I make straight A's and raise a child for Heaven's sake")...and I remind them both that I wish I had a sister to argue with...The funniest part of this is when The Little One asks me when I hang up "Ok, so whose fault is it REALLY?"...The Little One is all about the blame game...

So that's about it...all in all a good weekend. I had actually pre-written this morning's blog after a small tiff with The Husband Saturday morning. But you know, it was the kind of thing that seemed funny and appropriate at the time, but kind of petty this morning...

So until tomorrow, when the week begins on a busy, but optimistic note....

No comments: