Thursday, August 13, 2009

This and That

So I am headed back to Grandma's today for two last days of vacation. I decided why not?? Why not take advantage of it while I can? So in the morning, I will be writing to the familiar sights and sounds of the golf course...

Big Sister got into a facebook fight with a co-blogger. They both have shops on line, and they have shared information and ideas. The girl posted a note that basically decried all those who do not support the President's health-care plan as bad people. Big Sister replied that she was not only a good person, but a well-thought our person who just did not happen to support socialized medicine....and on it went...the interesting thing about this debate in our country is how it becomes such a "them vs us". In France, you can sit down over a cup of espresso and talk about the pros and cons without malice. One is able to appreciate the wonderful and efficient daycare available, the extended maternity care, the pediatricians who still make house calls....and on the other hand, you can also discuss how you may be turned down by 4 hospitals before you find one that is available to deliver your baby...how if you need certain procedure done, you probably want to look elsewhere...and on and on. But it is all discussed in a civil manner, with no inference that anybody is less than caring. Regardless of what happens in this debate, there will always be those who take advantage...and there will always be those who genuinely need the help. The answer to the issue lies somewhere in the gray-area of life. Let's take care of those who truly cannot take care of themselves...but let's not create a welfare nation...end of lecture.

Great trip to Target yesterday. I was there to pick up the wonderful 4 in 1 wipes from the Boots line...while I was picking them up, I spied a new moisturizer in the line that looked interesting. A lady standing near me asked if I had tried it. I told her I had tried much of the line, but not that particular lotion. She told me she had seen a special on CNN where they touted this line (Boots) as scientifically-proven to help reverse aging. How good did I feel??? We both grabbed a jar (there were only two left) and she also grabbed a couple of the pieces I suggested. It was such a nice exchange...Little one was standing there listening in confusion...she later asked if I "knew that lady cause i just started talking"....I explained that we were just exchanging info...but I headed to the cashier feeling bouyed by my new information and product. I also picked up a book by Alana Stewart called "My Journey with Farrah". It detailed the friendship between Farrah Fawcett and Alana Stewart (Rod's ex) during Farrah's cancer diagnosis and treatment. I had read an exerpt in a magazine and cried my eyes out. I knew I wanted to read the rest. (By the way, 3 chapters into the book, and it is lovely, touching and inspiring...but keep some tissues near). The sweet cashier picked it up and said she would also like to read it. She was probably barely 20, but she said that she thought Farrah was just so beautiful...(This book made me think of my friend Kelly, who I feel like would be my "Alana" if this ever happened to me...)

Other purchases included the school supplies for Little One...she has graduated from little girl to...well, I don't know. She adores Selena Gomez (and if you don't know who she is, you don't have a little girl...she is a star of the Disney Channel) and every purchase has to in some way make her "be like Selena". I actually love this part of her life...for me, it was Farrah and Susan Dey from the Partridge family...for the Big Sister it was Punky Brewster (although she now has an "unhealthy obsession" with Miley Cyrus)...for the soon-to-be renamed Rebel, it was anyone with an attitude...just kidding, it was Britney...and so it goes. We all have our girl heroes.

So until tomorrow, when school looms ever nearer...but I'm hanging on to my final days of summer...

No comments: