Saturday, August 22, 2009

"Love Means Never Having To Say Your Sorry"...Love Story...I mean, The Husband

In yesterday's blog, I alluded to the fact that The Husband and I had a slight "disagreement" over the weekend. I had written about it (pre-blogged) in the "heat of the moment" as it were, and then decided that I shouldn't use it. Several of you sent me comments minutes after you read the blog yesterday morning, complaining that I shouldn't have brought it up if I wasn't going to share it. Others of you just wanted to know what the "tiff" was about. I was going to stand strong and not use it, but then I received a message from The Husband, asking to read the afore-mentioned blog. So I sent it to him and explained that I was not using it. He responded by saying that though it was "grossly inaccurate", it was still "cute", and I was welcome to go ahead and use it.

So today, since The Husband never uses the word "cute"...I decided to go ahead and use it. I will preface it by saying that 1) It is in no way inaccurate. 2) He has since apologized. 3) I still have a load of stuff on my dining room table (to be explained)...

Yesterday's Blog

You will probably notice this week that until further notice, The Husband will not be mentioned in the blog. We had a slight tiff Saturday morning, and I have not yet recovered. In fact, I won't recover until he apologizes...or at least pretends to apologize ("I'm sorry you are upset" does not count). Remember that famous line from the movie Love Story, "Love means never having to say you're sorry"...uh, no.Let me explain...


In the midst of what I thought was a very important conversation...which means I am mid-sentence explaining why he is once again wrong on something...he interrupts me and asks "Do we have any trash bags?" Now let me assure you that there were no trash bag emergencies.....no spills that needed cleaning...no bodies that needed burying...NO...for the 9,543 weekend in a row, he was down in the basement "organizing". Organizing is code word for "avoiding anything of importance that needs to be done in the house, especially if The Wife is not happy with me." For most of our married life, he has found highly interesting things to do for 3 hours on Saturday morning. Nobody is allowed to interrupt, as he makes several trips upstairs with a distressed look on his face. And here is the deal....during the week, he takes loads of stuff down there (oh wait..no he doesn't...he leaves it at the basement door so I will do it). Then on Saturday, he brings the stuff back upstairs and plops it on the dining room table. I've never understood this exercise...kind of like digging a whole and then filling it up. But I just smile and nod and support. Even at our old house, on the day I came home from the hospital with Little one (after having been there a week because I almost died...the story for another blog)....he decided that he needed to "move the creek back a little further"....No, don't go back and re-read that line....you understood...he headed outside to "move the creek." And over the next 5 years, he proceeded to work on "moving the creek" every Saturday morning. (Thankfully, we have no creeks here in our back yard). So back to the story....


It's not that I think I am the most interesting person in the world. I'm not. And it's not that I ask for a lot of conversation from The Husband. I don't. A fact that he will back up because he says it is one of the reasons he married me. But look, DON"T INTERRUPT ME AND ASK ABOUT TRASH BAGS! That's all...you know, because I like to think that just maybe, I have something important to say....and I always listen (even while inwardly rolling my eyes ) to all of The Husband's critiques...


So anyway, The Husband will get a reprieve this week from being mentioned...unless of course he decides to make time stop in the universe and respond to this blog by sending me a tiny apology...


So until tomorrow, when chances are, you will be hearing a lot about the kids....

No comments: