Friday, August 21, 2009

Thank Goodness it's Friday

Ah, it's Friday. We made it...and it was a good week. I have to say my little prayers of thanks. The first week of school is always stressful, but this year, everything went very smoothly. I'll have to admit that it had more to do with my attitude than anything else. When I am able to keep a positive attitude, it seems to trickle down through the family. Even The Boy, who was depressed that he has to bring packed lunch this year (his school lunches were topping out at about $8.00 a day last year) came around. Instead of complaining, he gave suggestions for the lunch box. Breakfasts were calm and easy. We all sat down, we all ate the same thing...and then The Boy made his mad dash for ESPN and Little One ran for the hair-straightener.

The Boy is playing for 2 different baseball teams this fall, so 2 nights a week he is getting home very late. This would normally cause a lot of turmoil (for me). But instead of approaching it like a bad thing, I decided to go with the flow...and to my great surprise, all is fine. He easily finished his homework before practice...and I think he even ended up asleep earlier than usual because he was exhausted.

On another note, The Husband sent me a note yesterday asking me to highlight anything in my blog that had to do with him, or might interest him...this was so he could avoid having to "plow through the whole thing"....Ok...I'll jump right on that. I told him that he better be careful or when they turn this blog into a book and then a movie...he might not like who I cast in his part. (To which he responded that he would like to be Danny DeVito...The Husband is always a smart alec) Speaking of casting parts...I would like to be Michelle Pfieffer or Sandra Bullock (I figure I get control over this, right?) Big Sister will want to be played by Miley Cyrus...but that won't work for many reasons. The Senior will choose someone who I have never heard of....The Boy can be the brother on Hannah Montanna.....and that leaves Little One, who will beg for Selena Gomez, but the ages just do not match up......All of this dangerously illustrates my rich fantasy life...

On to a more REAL subject....Project Runway was back last night. I absolutely love this show. I just admire the skills of these people. I made a C+ in Home Economics (back in the day when that was a subject) when we did sewing. I attempted an A-line skirt in the ugliest color of green you have ever seen...and needless to say, it was hideous. I did wear it one day, but oh my goodness...Anyway, this group of 16 people were really talented. They created beautiful evening gowns in 2 days...and most of them were lovely. The girl that went home was a little too "out there."..not only was her "creation" silly, but she was the only designer who did not know how to sketch. I know sketching is not a must for creating clothes, but on this show, it is almost necessary. The one low point for me last night was guest judge Lindsay Lohan. Not to be judgemental or anything, but after all of her tabloid antics over the last few years, I have a hard time listening seriously to her take on anything. I much prefer when they have Diane Von Furstenburg or someone of that level of expertise. And I just love Michael Kors and Nina Garcia...the look on their faces when something less than perfect comes down the runway is priceless...

So that is it for the week...with gratitude that all is well, and the hope that next week will be the same...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I so enjoy your daily blogs. I do not mind 'plowing through'. In fact there is no 'plowing' at all on my part, it is more like a lovely walk down a garden path. They are my daily 'pick me up'! Since you mentioned casting the parts for the movie of your life, I have a few choices for my part, although the actresses I have picked probably wouldn't want to take a 'bit-part'. I think my top pick is Dana Delany. She would be age appropriate although slightly younger (and more beautiful). Other choices would be Sela Ward, Jane Seymour, Rene Russo or Andi MacDowell. Again all close in age (or close enough). My husband could be played by Kevin Costner (is he an appropriate side-kick for Danny Devito?) or would Dennis Quaid be a better choice?

Have a good weekend!

Robyn said...

I totally agree with your choices...I think I would choose Sela to play you...and hey, Kevin Costner is always a good choice!! (Danny Devito...not so much)

Thanks for the kind words!