Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Pressure To Cook Like Paula Deen

I cannot believe that Thanksgiving is 2 days away. Once again, it has totally snuck up on me. Last year, I watched the Food Network for weeks beforehand, and added several dishes to my normal Thanksgiving repertoire. The problem with doing that is that now, everyone has high expectations. When I ran through the menu with The Husband, he asked "Where are your fancy dishes?". Big Sister and The Senior asked the same thing. So now, 2 days before, I am forced to scour my recipe books in order to be more creative. Usually, I just buy a ready-made turkey from the local grocer. This year, I decided to give it a go on my own. I told The Husband I would probably cook it the day before to avoid any mishaps. "NO! I don't want any dry turkey! Just get up and stick it in the oven at 3 am on Thanksgiving." Now, this is the funny thing about The Husband. He has never cooked a turkey in his life (and I don't see it happening in the future)...yet he feels the need to tell me how to do it....

We are headed to Grandma's house for the holiday, which makes me extremely happy. The only downside is the transportation of the animals.....the incontinent, 14 yr old doberman...and the 2 car-sick cats. Though the drive to Grandma's is only about 45 minutes, it will not be a pleasant one.
The Husband came through this morning and said I could "'pick out his clothes for Thanksgiving". ....Huh? I think this was some sort of trick offer. I noticed he had thrown several t-shirts and jeans on the bed to bring along. I will make a bet right now that whatever I bring and suggest he wear .....will not be worn.

Ok, that's it for today. Back to scouring cookbooks. I'm bringing the laptop to Grandma's...but it is always questionable as to whether or not I can "log on". So, until tomorrow, when I will hopefully "be on".

No comments: