Monday, November 9, 2009

On Being Out of Touch on So Many Levels...

I'm all about my routine. I find a sense of security in going through the same little rituals each day. Nothing OCD or anything, but just a certain comfort level that I get from continuity. So today, I'll admit it. I'm thrown. The Husband carted off my laptop when I when I went to the zoo last week. It was evidently "infected with viruses". But all I know is, it was working. When I returned from the zoo, it was not in it's spot. The "spot" is my little area that is designated as my "office". This is the spot I begin every morning, checking my mail and channeling through the news of the day. The spot where I return after taking the kids to school to write something hopefully creative and inspiring. The spot where I write this blog for the first 25 minutes of my day...
Anyway, I was promised that it would be back today...but when I flipped on the little switch...nothing. I glanced around to see everyone else woring on theirs...The Boy, the Husband...but mine DOES NOT WORK. The Husband was kind enough to call the technician who supposedly fixed it. After a brief exchange of ideas, I heard the dreaded words. "I'll bring it back to you tomorrow." That means another day of being out of touch. Another day where The Husband sends out e-mails that he knows will annoy me since he knows I cannot respond. Not that I want to. I'm in cave mode lately. This is a stage I pass through occasionally when I prefer to remain silent. But still...I like to know I can respond if the mood strikes me.

If you work from home, I'm sure you can relate to this. I leave my mail on every morning for 2 hours. This is the time when I correspond with friends, family and blog readers. This is 2 hours of the day when I don't try and stay focused. I write during this time, but if someone sends something funny, I'll take a break and respond. I look forward to this time of day.

I was a fish out of water this morning. I have a canvas set up in my office. The sketch for the painting is 90% complete. All I have to do is BEGIN. I thought this would be a good day to start it. But I just stared at it for an hour. I just couldn't get going. I organized my paints. cleaned my brushes...all of those little things I do to kill time when I've "got nothing". No creative juices flowing.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling the same way tonight. I don't like to "pre-blog". What I think I am going to write about at night is rarely what I end up blogging about in the morning. So tonight, as I check my mail and write this blog on The Husband's laptop...I feel a little disconnect. To those of you who follow the blog...give me a couple of days to regroup. As you're probably thinking as you read this...I'm off my game. I need my comfort zone....I need my OWN computer....

So until tomorrow...or the next day...when hopefully my computer will re-boot along with my creativity...Who knows...maybe I'll start the painting....

No comments: