Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Just Do It

A few weeks ago, I was watching a movie, and as I often do, I noticed the beautiful artwork in the background. I enjoyed it so much that I researched the paintings. For the first time in a long time, I felt the urge to pull out my paints. I decided I would paint something similar to one of the paintings in the movie, but put my own spin on it. I had the idea in my mind for several days, but I procrastinated doing the sketch. This is the same paralysis that sets in every time I begin a painting or an article. The insecurity that makes me ask myself "Can I do it again?"

It reminded me of my first art project in college. As I've said before, I began my college "career" at 16 as an art major at a small liberal arts college. In one of my classes, we were to sketch an idea, and then create the sketch in some kind of media. I was going to sculpt something, though I had very little experience in sculpting. There was a guy in my class...we will call him Bob Valentine (because that was his name). Bob was a 5th year senior. He was a terrific wrestler and football player, and he was one of several "Jersey" boys who were at this school. He was also the most talented artist I had ever met. He sat next to me in drawing class, and as we would both sketch the model for the day, I would be mesmerized by his drawing. From time to time, he would reach over and make a "correction" on my sketch (out of sight of the professor)...and then we would continue. I learned more from his "corrections" than I did from the professor.

Anyway, I decided to do this sketch of praying hands, with the idea of sculpting the hands after I perfected the sketch. But I struggled with the drawing, never getting it the way I wanted it. One evening, I bumped into Bob in the student center (this tells you a lot about my college days) and he took a look at the sketch. He gave me some suggestions, and told me to meet him there the next night. This went on for several evenings, until finally he said to me "What are you waiting for? The sketch is fine. You're putting off the sculpting." I realized he was right. I was afraid of not being able to accomplish what I had in mind...so I just kept putting it off.

After all of these years and many, many paintings, I still get the same feeling. Once I finally sat down the other day and did my sketch, I was very pleased with it. The Boy examined it and brought in his friends to look at it. Little One, who rarely bestows praise, said "Wow, you're pretty good." The Husband just nodded...and a few days later he noted "You know, it's not going to paint itself, is it?"

Well, not it's not. So today, I am going to force myself to put the first brush stroke on the canvas and get it started. Who cares if it's perfect, right? (Well, I do) But at least it will be a start. A reminder that the only way to accomplish something is...like the Nike ad says....Just Do It...

By the way, I did eventually finish sculpting those praying hands. They weren't perfect. They weren't as spectacular as Bob Valentine's project. But I think I made an A-..and I gained a bit of confidence.

So until tomorrow, when hopefully the painting will begin to take shape....

No comments: