Monday, November 16, 2009

Don't Throw it So Hard...

Last Thursday night, The Boy challenged The Husband and Little One to a basketball game. I thought this was a great idea until I realized that I was part of the mix. Evidently, in order to make things fair, I would be on The Boy's team. ("Mom, dad and I would clean your plow.) Now I tried to avoid the game, as I was tired and ready to read my new book. But as he often does, The Boy begged and begged until it was either give in or explode. We were winning handily (no thanks to me) halfway through the game, when OUCH...The Boy threw a bounce pass that took a bad bounce and hit me in the mouth. Having just recovered from the head butt incident on dance night, when his buddy decided to throw his head up while I was putting on his makeup, my lip once again blew up. This time though, I was worried that a tooth might have been jarred loose....but I lucked out. All teeth were in tact. The Boy apologized profusely, and The Husband, ever-mindful of me-instructed him to "throw soft passes to your mom...she's a lightweight." We went on to win the game...and I went on in to find an ice pack.



The next night, The Boy was once again lobbying for a game. My lip was back to normal, and hey, it was Friday night. So I agreed. Once again, The Boy and I were winning, and this time, I was actually scoring some points. Feeling confident, I ran to guard The Husband as he dribbled around. Suddenly...and without warning...he decided to channel Michael Jordan and try a behind-the-back pass to Little One. There were two problems with this. 1) He didn't look where he was throwing it. 2) He fired it as hard as he could. Now, thankfully, it did not get to Little One, because it would have knocked her over. Unfortunately, it hit me square on the face. I think I may have blacked-out for a second, awaking to hear The Husband laughing and saying "Oops...sorry. Why didn't you move?". Now The Boy rushed to my side to make sure I was ok. Little One ran over and kicked The Husband in the shins, shaming him for "hurting mom". Finally, The husband strolled over and patted me on the back. "Sorry hon. Didn't see you there."

Minutes later, after I was again conscious, and we had resumed the game, Little One burst into laughter. "What's so funny?" I asked. "Sorry mommy, but it really was funny when you got smacked with the ball." ......Aren't kids sweet?

Sunday was the big wedding anniversary, but The Husband and I decided to celebrate Saturday night. After a last minute change of venue, due to an in-town football game, we had a lovely dinner at an out-of -town 'bistro'...perfect, because I got a bit of 'fru-fru' food that I like...and he got to keep an eye on the games. All in all, a great compromise....just like our marriage. And so I have to be very serious for a moment and thank The Husband for being himself for all of these years. It's not always easy...but it's always interesting with him by my side. What he may lack in compassion and sensitivity...he makes up for with humor and action. So between the two of us, hopefully, we've got "it" covered.....If he's read this far into the blog this morning (doubtful), I'll remind him that he said that Paris was in the thought-process for future anniversaries.....

And lastly, one of the high points of the weekend was a fabulous photo shoot with Lindsey McDowell.. Lindsey is a close friend of Big Sister's, and a terrific photographer. I needed some 'edgy' photos taken...and I needed to have fun doing it. So until tomorrow, when we will discuss the photo shoot...and I will avoid any further basketball games....

No comments: