Thursday, November 26, 2009

Please Let the Turkey Be Good

Well, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I wasn't going to blog today, but I find that the time between 6:00am when I got up to put my turkey in, and the time when I need to actually start my other stuff...is pretty low-key. Now this being my first year cooking my own turkey, I was overwhelmed by great suggestions from all of you readers. I wrote down every single tip, and I figure I cannot miss, right???

The Husband was not thrilled last night when he saw me set the alarm for 6:00am. "Do you have to do that?" he asked. Well, I reminded him that he had said he did not want 'dry turkey'. He asked if I couldn't just "wake myself up". Well, I told him, I could try that, but we might end up eating at Burger King. Anyway, I set the alarm and stumbled out of bed at 6 to start the day. I would like to say I ran with excitement, but that would be lying. I followed the directions that my friend K had given me... her main piece of advice was 'Butter is Queen for the day...No low-fat options." This advice was making me laugh as I piled on the butter. (K, if you are reading this, I didn't just pile on the butter, I mixed the proper ingredients and slit the skin and shoved it in.)
I then debated on making coffee and staying up, but I figured I might as well get a few hours of beauty sleep since my nose is still a mess from the previous night's basketball incident. When I got back to the bedroom, I was sorry to hear that I had hit the "snooze" button instead of the "off" button...so Christmas music was blaring.....Why The Husband did not turn it off is beyond me, but I'll bet it is so he could let me know what I had done. I'm sure I will hear about it when he gets up.

I slept for about an hour, and then I actually smelled the turkey cooking. K told me I needed to baste every 30 minutes, so I decided to get up and get with it. The house is still quiet. The sun is shining. The turkey looks edible. My nose looks better. My family is near. All is right with the world.

So today...as I dispell the myth in our family that I cannot cook a turkey, I will take a moment and be grateful for all of the little things in life.

Until tonight, when I will let you know how the turkey turned out....

No comments: