Wednesday, November 25, 2009

On Being Thankful for Flat Tires and Broken Noses...

I hate to be a whiner, but I am going to allow myself to partake in it for a few minutes. Last week, I was driving around the local college campus, when my tire evidently shredded, causing my car to make a sound like Armagedon was here. It was lunch time, so every student was out walking...and staring at me creeping down the street. I quickly called The Husband and he said...and I quote...."Well, the nearest tire place is about 2 miles away. See if you can make it." I hung up on him and began the longest journey of my life. As I crept among the eyes of 20,000 students with my car howling, my tire tread was following me. When I finally reached the tire place, a man named Tommy sauntered out, took one look at my license plate, which for some unknown reason carries the school emblem of The Husband's school, and he said "You can't come in here with those plates." Now he had a smile on his face, but when he saw me start to cry, he backed down and sweetly put my spare on.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm driving my dad's old car since my car still has the spare on. I'm sitting in pick up line with cars in front of me and behind me, when all of a sudden, my car dies. And I mean DIES. It won't turn over. I quickly call The Husband, who says...and I quote..."Why do you keep calling me with these car problems when you know I am an hour away and cannot help.".....Ok. So I hung up on him and got a guy in front of me to help maneuver my car into the nearest parking spot (of course this was after having to have everyone in line move)

So last night, when we arrived at Grandma's house, I was so happy and relieved to be here. All of the stress just left me, as I sat down to prepare for Thanksgiving. The Boy and Little One ran in and asked if I would run up to the gym with them and The Husband for a quick game of basketball. Why not? I thought. A good family thing to do. So off we went, and started a friendly, yet fairly competitive game. Halfway through the game, The Husband had the ball...and he kept scoring on me. So I decided to actually play some defense. As I stepped forward, he elbowed me in the nose...and I hit the floor. Blood went everywhere, and I saw stars. The Husband said....and I quote...."You got in my face"...... I hobbled over to the side...sobbing loudly....and The Husband quickly reminded me that everything was being taped on the security camera...so I needed to behave myself. No Problem. I couldn't move. Reluctantly, he decided to drive me back to Grandma's house, with Little One along to take care of me. Since we had no ice, he grabbed a bag of frozen peas and I held them on my nose for an hour.

Later that night, after I decided it wasn't broken, I asked The Husband how it looked. "Bruised", he replied. And for maybe the third time since we have been married, he said "I'm sorry." Well, I was sorry too...for being such a defensive whiz during the game. But all's well that ends well...

Until I saw my nose in the mirror this morning. There will be no Thanksgiving pictures of me. But that's ok. We are here...and I am happy...swollen nose and all. Many, many thanks to all of you who sent me suggestions for cooking my turkey. If I am not successful after all of these tips, I might as well just buy one next year...

So until the end of the week, when we will have celebrated a wonderful Thanksgiving...with a full heart and a swollen nose...and a thankfulness for everything that life throws my way....

No comments: