Sunday, November 22, 2009

On Remembering to be Thankful and Happy

We began the weekend by seeing a terrific movie. "The Blind Side" was both touching and inspiring. The kids loved it, The Husband loved it, the friend who went with us loved it...and so did I. I love a movie that has the kids asking lots of questions about life. I love when they see examples of people being honorable and courageous. And just icing on the cake that it was a true story.



Saturday I headed to Tennessee with a friend. A roadtrip of sorts to do some unfinished business. My mom's house has to be sorted through...there were closets and drawers to rummage though...letters to be read...memories to pack up and store away...and plenty of tears to shed. The first time I tried to do it, I failed. I took a look around and headed back home, not ready for closure. But with the year anniversary of her death just past, it was time. I loaded my car with recipe books, dishes, letters...anything that made me feel good and connected to mom. My happiest moment came when I happened upon a beautiful coat of hers that I hadn't seen in years. I had remembered her wearing it...and I had loved it. An emerald green vintagey coat with jeweled buttons and a fur collar and cuffs. It had disappeared for years...and I'd figured it was long gone. When I opened the hall closet, I spied something in a clothes bag...and sure enough, there is was. I screamed in joy..and scared my friend to death. I took it out of the bag and put it on...and it was a perfect fit...and in perfect condition. I didn't even cry. Just smiled and remembered mom.



After I finished, I stopped by to see an old friend whose husband had just passed away. She was so happy to see me that it made my day. We reminisced about her late husband, who had been very dear to me. And then in walked someone else...a guy I went to college with, who had also been a great friend. After an afternoon full of reminiscing and tears, it was so good to see someone who immediately patted me on the back, made fun of me, and reminded me of that some good people and times have passed...but there are still good ones ahead. By the time I left, I was laughing again.



On my way back home, I stopped to see both of my brothers. As I've written before...and as corny as it sounds...I have the best brothers in the world. Loving, thoughtful, kind....not to mention VERY funny. I cannot be around them for long and stay in a sad mood.



By the time I made it home, Little One had gone off to spend the night with a friend...and The Boy and Husband had exhausted every fast food outlet, and settled in to watch some horrible movie. Home Sweet Home.



So today, on this week of Thanksgiving.. I am thankful for friends...old and new. For family near and far. For memories, good and sad. And for those at home waiting for me...



And today...a Very Happy Birthday to The Senior, who I love and cherish....I hope your classes are quick and easy today....and I hope the coming year is everything you want it to be...



Until tomorrow.....

No comments: