Friday, November 20, 2009

On Basketball Practice and The Morning Drop-Off

The basketball practice went well last night. It started off a bit rocky, with The Husband giving instructions on picks and screens. I glanced around and saw some blank looks on the faces of our 9 and 10 year old girls. One little girl had tears in her eyes, but I was relieved to find out it was just dust, and not fear. Two of them leaned over and said to me "What is he saying?" I waited for him to finish his talk on the importance of the pivot foot...and then I quietly suggested that he 'dumb it down' a bit. Afterall, it was the 9/10 Pewee League and not the Atlanta Hawks. To his credit, The Husband took a deep, impatient breath, and went through a slow, thorough review. By the end of practice, I saw many smiles on the girl's faces. I think they had fun and learned a little bit, which is what it is all about. Unfortunately for The Husband, our last year's record of 7-1 may be hard to re-achieve....

Yesterday I had lunch with my 'morning crew". This is one guy and one girl who also participate in the tedious ritual of morning drop-off line at school. The guy has been doing this for 8 years, I think...and the girl for 7. I am the 'baby' of the group, having only been at it for 3 years. Last year, the 3 of us participated in what could only be described as the "Amazing Race". It was a cut-throat daily race to see who could get there first and drop off the kids. As the year progressed, so did the danger of the driving practices. I almost found myself reaching for a helmet and driving gloves after being cut off and "put in the wall" several mornings. Of course I would never do this, but some participants may have actually shoved their young daughters out the door in an effort to win. The guy in the group changed the rules near the end of the year, as men sometimes do when they cannot win. He decreed that it was the first car to LEAVE that was the winner...not the first car there. Well, the danger factor that was involved with this became too much...and the 'Race' had to come to an end before someone was injured...

So this year, morning drop-off is more about discussing what was on TV last night or the latest gossip. The problem is, you start a conversation...then the line moves...and you are forced to dive back into your car, or else be run over. So it was nice yesterday to sit down and chat with the group and finish some conversations. When you have to deal with tired, grumpy kids on a daily basis, it is nice to be able to share a few laughs over it....

And finally, thanks to The Husband for watching the season of Project Runway with me...and with very few smart alec remarks. Last night was the season finale....the final 3 girls put together a runway show and competed for the prize. The husband demanded that I pick a winner...and he did the same. He did this because he knew who I liked...and he thought she wasn't going to win...but she did. I was very gracious in my "winners' speech....

So that's it for the week. We're doing a family movie tonight...and then I am off on a road trip of sorts this weekend...more on that next week....

No comments: