Thursday, November 26, 2009

All's Well That Ends Well....

The turkey was a resounding success. Not as good as The Husband's Italian Meatball Sandwiches, but pretty darn good. Now you might think that meatball sandwiches are a strange addition to a traditional Thanksgiving meal, but for those of you who know us and our last name, you know that this is the norm...

So tonight, the house is once again quiet. The Husband and The Boy have snuck off to the Hawk's game. Little One is watching her Mary-Kate and Ashleigh movie for the 10th time. Big Sis and SIL have gone home to do homework for graduate studies, and The Senior has taken the Tike home to put to bed. This is the lovely, yet kind of sad time of day. In years past, this is when Grandma and mom and I would sit around and clean and talk. But this year, it is just me. The Husband asked me last night why I seemed so stressed out about the meal this year...and I think it is because I miss not having to be in charge of the whole meal. In years past, even if I was doing the cooking, I had plenty of suggestions and advice. But hey, that is the cycle of life. It's my turn to be in charge...it just came too soon for me. So today, we used Grandma's china and mom's silverware...and it was wonderful.

So a few thank yous for today:

1) Thanks to my friend K who is responsible for my successful turkey.

2) Thanks to Big Sis who showed up this morning just when I needed her..and kicked me out of the kitchen after the meal so she could do the cleaning. Thanks and I love you.

3) Thanks to the Son-In-Law, whose humor adds a lot to our family. Your heartfelt, hummed rendition of "Come On Baby Light My Fire" was amazing....

4) Thanks to the Senior for making it over here on time with the Tike. You travelled the farthest...and the strawberry shortcake was yummy. (Little One has had 3 servings)

5) Thanks to The Tike, for taking me on a long walk on the golf course, pointing out things I would have never seen...and warming my heart.

6) Last, but not least, thanks to The Husband for maneuvering though the chaos of the day with good humor. Your sandwiches over-shadowed my turkey...but that was a good thing.

So that is it for today. A lovely day filled with family and good food. If you have your parents still with you, turn to them and tell them you love them. Appreciate them.

Until next week....

No comments: