Thursday, October 15, 2009

There is Always Something to be Grateful For.

When Big Sister was in college, she dated a terrific guy we'll call the Bohemian. He was part of the family for a couple of years, but in the end, he went to Europe to find himself, and she found the amazing SIL...and they both moved on. They've kept up with each other over the last few years, commiserating on jobs and life, and chatting on facebook. He had moved to Charlotte to do graduate work, and life seemed to be progressing well for him. Over the weekend, while she was in NYC, Big Sis received a message that he had been in a random shooting. Walking back from a restaurant with friends (in an upscale neighborhood, no less), he was mugged, and then shot and left for dead. Thankfully, someone found him, and he has spent the last few days on ICU fighting for his life.
This morning, as my prayers continue to go out to him and his family, I am reminded that life is so fragile...and though it sounds trite...you have to live each day like it's your last. When you think about the fact that someone you see and talk to today could be gone tomorrow...it makes each moment seem more important...each interaction a blessing. I am so guilty of letting the "minutia of life" get me down (this from The Husband). I get bogged down with too much to do, or things not going exactly the way I want or plan....and I forget that it is the journey and not the destination that I need to be enjoying.
Without getting too philosophical, because it is just too early in the morning for that, the old quote that says "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it" is so true. I guess the trick is how to do that on a daily basis.

So today, as The Boy stays home sick again, I am going to quit worrying about him and enjoy our time together. I am going to be so happy for Little One , who auditioned for a role in the production of 'Grease' at the local playhouse...and made it! I will worry about how we will fit in school work, softball, hip-hop class...and now rehearsals....later. I will savor all of The Husband's sarcastic comments, knowing full well that I would miss them if he weren't around...

And until tomorrow, with hope and prayers that the Bohemian makes a full recovery...

No comments: