Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"President Obama's Mother was Turned Away from Hospitals due to Lack of Healthcare Coverage, and Ultimately Forced to Give Birth in a Manger" Kimmel

We're halfway through the week. I was going to write on Halloween costumes today, but I think I'll save that for later in the week. Today feels more like a current events day, so just a few comments:



1) Harry Reid says he has a health care bill ready to put through. I was put off over the weekend that the posse he sent out to the weekend news shows were "not ready to discuss the details". Ok, great. You've got a bill you want us to get behind, but let's not go into details. It became abundantly clear as the week began why they were avoiding details. The "public option" which the public has made clear they don't want is now the "consumer option". The old bait and switch. Come on, guys, do you really think that changing the name fools anyone? If Joe Lieberman and Olympia Snow aren't behind it, then neither am I. I'm still waiting to see what Evan Bayh, the senator from Indiana, says. I like those 3 "lone voices". I didn't say I always agree with them...I just said I like them. They seem to be immune to the forces of rhetoric that plague both sides of the aisle.



2) Yankees vs Phillies. With all due respect and love to my sister-in-law, I'm going with my Yankees. I read in the WSJ this morning that astrologers say the Yankees are poised to win due to the moon in A-Rod's house. I have no idea what this means, but it sounds good to me. I think it has more to do with the power in A-Rod's bat..but that's just me. Between Jeter,Teixeira, A-Rod and Petit, this is a team of All-Stars. The brother-in-law predicts the Yankees in 6 (I can just hear the arguments in that household this week). I'm going to have to side with him this time.



3) The rumor is today that Andre Agassi's new book is going to reveal that he tried crystal meth during his tennis career. Not only do I not want to know this, but I don't understand the reason for revealing it. I know it is kind of "the thing" to do these days....let people know what you have been through and how you overcame it. But I think the current generation of kids could stand to see some examples of athletes who did not feel the desire or need to use drugs, steroids, etc. They don't need to hear the excuse that someone gave into the pressure or just decided to experiment... Why even talk about that? I think there is a chance that the only thing kids get out of that revelation is "Well , he tried it and look at him now. Must be no big deal." I guess I should hold my judgement until I read it...

4) Speaking of reading, I have to mention two wonderful books that I have read lately, both Pulitzer prize winners (which renews my faith in this award). One is Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo and the other is Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Stout. These two novels are both proof that American Literature is alive and well. Both are wonderfully written with fully developed characters and intricate story lines. The reader is immediately drawn into the author's world...and then finally left wondering what happened to the characters long after the book has ended....

5) A couple of fashion notes. I have never watched The Real Housewives of Atlanta, but evidently there is a woman on there named Sheree who has just come out with a fashion line called 'She by Sheree'. Now there is talk of having our First Lady wear her designs. I'm begging Mrs. Obama...PLEASE DON'T. This show doesn't need anymore plugs...the promos are enough to embarrass the average person. In addition, this is an insult to those who have dedicated their time and talent to become true designers. If you have ever watched Project Runway, you get just a taste of the skill it takes to design and make clothes. Mrs. Obama has "the world at her feet" so to speak in this area. Valentino, Lauren, Dior...or even the newer ones...Isabelle Toledo, Zac Posen....the list goes on and on. Please stick with the true designers!
In a similarly ridiculous move, the Italian design House Ungaro named Lindsay Lohan to be their name designer. What?! How on earth did she receive this honor? Well, the head guys said that they heard Tim Gunn (Project Runway) say that she had an eye for fashion. That's it. And that was good enough for them? Well, her first runway show in Paris was totally ripped apart by the critics. They got what they deserved. Not only were the clothes unsophisticated and silly...but I'm sure the terrible reviews had all to do with the fact that designers who had worked for years to hone their craft were insulted to see her put in this position.

6) And last but not least...it's Wednesday, which means that tonight, the funniest shows of the week are on. 'Modern Family' and 'Cougartown' continue to make me belly-laugh each week. The writing on both shows just continues to be hilarious. My only challenge tonight will be flipping back and forth between those shows and the World Series....

So that's it for today. A little of this and that. And until tomorrow, when this year's Halloween costume choices will be revealed and discussed...

No comments: