Friday, October 9, 2009

"I Don't Like To Write, But I Love To Have Written."

I just couldn't get to the blog yesterday. Too many obstacles. The first thing I do each morning is test Little One's hearing aids. Well, upon testing yesterday, one of them wasn't working. I tried to perform surgery on it, the one I have done a thousand times...but this time it failed...Little One was above the moon, sporting a side-ponytail that only showed the liberated ear. But this meant that there had to be an hour long discussion on the phone with the audiologist, trouble-shooting and discussing what the issue might be. This is the problem with hanging on to doctors that you love who live too far away...when there is a problem, you either drive or overnight something. In this case, the "dead" aid had to be over-nighted so that a more knowledgable and refined surgeon could work on it...

After returning from the UPS store, it was time to get down to business on a piece of writing that is coming up on deadline. After a glorious start, I had become stuck, and had used every excuse in the book to procrastinate on finishing it. If truth be told, I had made the mistake of sending it to The Husband for an opinion... When the response comes back "Ehhh", I become acutely aware that either he has no taste, or the piece stinks. Either way, I was thrown into a period of "if I don't work on it, I can't mess up". Well, yesterday I decided to break the deadlock. I completed another section and sent some un-edited pages to the best friend and the Big Sis. This is always a good move, because though honest, they are also sensitive to the fact that writing is a vulnerable profession...and any "ehh" can really hurt. So after getting some positive feedback, I was back on track.

I told myself that I would do the blog after I picked the kids up from school, but it didn't happen. The Boy got in the car and began by saying "Well only one bad thing happened today..." Well, we all know as mothers that that is not what you want to hear after school. Turns out he had been waiting in line for the printer during class, and becoming bored, he committed the mortal sin of checking his e-mail while waiting. Now he knows ...and has been lectured by me on several occasions...that this is against the rules. But "everyone in class does it a million times a day" was his response....whereupon I had to morph into my mother by shouting "If they told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that too?!!!"......Really? Did I say that? Yes I did ....and the discussion deteriorated from there. Of course after I called the teacher and heard that it was a minor infraction...not punishable by death, but only by the teacher keeping the computer for a night...I calmed down...a little bit. Because Big Sis and Senior have always told me that they were more afraid of my reaction than anything else, and this is what kept them on the straight and narrow (although once she reached high school, you could never put The Senior and "straight and narrow" in the same sentence).
We all calmed down until Little One arrived home with the study guide for a test which she hadn't heard (with emphasis on the word "heard") about. This meant that after the late soft-ball game, we had to buckle down and cram for the test, which is never easy when she is dozing off in the middle of it all...

But I'm back on it today, already encouraged by the fact that I have finished another section of the article. So until next week, when hopefully I will be finished, The Boy will have his computer back, Little One will have aced her test.....and on a side-note....Bon Voyage to Big Sis and SIL who are off for a fun weekend in New York City...and safe travels (and good luck) to the brother and sister-in-law who are descending upon Las Vegas as we speak....

No comments: