Tuesday, October 13, 2009

If You Think Education is Expensive, Try Ignorance

It's always a little hard to get back into the routine after a 3 day weekend. This morning was no different. Yesterday, the kids were off for a teacher's workday. It was meant to be an easy-going day since the last few weeks and weekends have been packed with baseball, softball, dance...and of course, school work. Little One has 3 big tests this week, so we knew at some point that we would have to study. She wanted this later...not sooner. But I had her set out all of her study guides in preparation. Uh Oh. We were missing one of them...the biggie...the folder that was needed to study for the Rainforest Test. She had left it in her desk somehow, and now she was panicked. We went online to check the school website to see if there was anything there...but there wasn't.
Now Little One and I have had many discussions on how she has to be more vigilant about packing her bookbag in the afternoons...but I sensed this was not the time for a lecture. I decided to send an inquiring e-mail to her teacher (not the one giving the test...the homeroom) to feel her out...see if there was a chance I could pick it up....Well, back came a sort of code message saying that the room would be open and she would be in meetings....and if I parked in back, nobody would see me. Ok, I knew what this meant. Mr. Principal would not approve...but if I wanted to chance it and sneak in...I could try. I pondered this for about 10 minutes...and then e-mailed a friend. Lo and behold, her daughter (in the same class) had forgotten her folder too...Well, that was it. I had to do it. It was not only imperative for Little One to be able to study, but the Principal is the one of the few people in the world that I feel the need to disobey.

I approached it like an assignment in a 'Mission Impossible' movie. I considered camouflage and face paint...but settled on jeans and tennis shoes since it was pouring down rain. Little One would have to go with me....mostly because I did not know where the friend's desk was...and partly because she would be my buffer if caught. I drove to the school in the rain and parked at the spot designated by her teacher as "safe". Little One and I looked at each other and synchronized our watches...ok, we didn't really do that...it just sounded good. I told her to follow me, and we hiked up the stairs. The coast was clear, so we ran in the building. Again...nobody around, so we ducked into her classroom. As her teacher had said, she wasn't there, but the room was open. I whispered to Little One to grab her folder and she did. She then ran to the friend's desk and grabbed hers to. At that moment an unfamiliar teacher walked by and waved. My heart was in my throat...but I waved back. Little One giggled and we waited for her to pass. Then we ran out of the building back into the rain. Down the stairs and into the car...mission accomplished...
When we got home, The Boy wanted all of the details, and of course I exaggerated everything. He was quite impressed by my rebellious spirit...but I cautioned him that I would not be doing the same for him. 4th grade qualifies as the last year for this kind of thing...after that...you're on your own.

Last night, we studied our hearts out. You'll notice that I use the pronoun "we" and not "she"....it is still a joint effort at this age. There are flash cards and study guides everywhere.

This morning, as we were walking out the door, Little one yelled "Mom! Quick ! Draw me a picture of a howler monkey! I need it! Don't ask why!"....Not knowing what this was, I ran to the computer and found a picture and did a sketch. If you can believe it, Little One took one look at it and said "That is the worst picture of a howler monkey I have ever seen." She left in on the counter and headed for the car...

So that's it for this morning...2 more big tests to go this week...and then I can take a break. I'm learning so much more in school this time around...

Until tomorrow...

No comments: