Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday is an Awful Way to Spend 1/7 of your Life. Steven Wright

Friday afternoon was such a relief. Little One was finished with all of her tests for the week, and had ended them on a high note with an A on her Wordly Wise test. Bouyed by her achievement, she was ready to ride the coat tails of this accomplishment all weekend. To everything she asked for, she added, "Cause you know , I made an A on my test". Now I let that ride for extra dessert and late bedtime, but eventually, I had to draw the line. After having The Boy home sick all week with the flu, I was just not in the mood for the requisite Friday night sleepover...not even the "A on my test" could change my mind...



The Boy seemed so much better Friday. He had even convinced The Husband that he would be fine for playing in a travel baseball game on Saturday morning. I had my doubts about his, but I kept my over-protective-mom-mouth shut. Until Friday came and I happened to feel his forehead for the 876th time this week. Uh oh. Warm. He looked at me with pleading eyes, but I reached for the thermometer. 101. I knew what was coming. I announced to The Husband that he had a fever. The Boy exclaimed that it was "hardly anything" and he was fine. The Husband looked from his face to my face...and he made the following cowardly statement. "Listen to mom. We'll do whatever she says." ...Now, do not be fooled into thinking this was supportive. This was The Husband not being the "bad guy". This is the role he likes to play. The Boy stomped upstairs, angry at mom and the world...and not feeling so great either. I just stared at The Husband. "What???" he said. "So you think he should play tomorrow...after being sick a week and still with fever?" ....."I didn't say that."........Here is the thing. I do not reward sickness. Really, I don't. In our house, if you don't have fever or vomiting, you are pretty much going to school. In fact, Big Sister and The Senior will swear that I occasionally sent them on their deathbeds. But that isn't true either. They just didn't like the rule that stated "If you stay home, there is no phone time and you must stay in bed"......But back to the point. The Boy had no business doing anything except resting over the weekend. And that was that. I climbed the stairs and went to tell him that I was sorry...and being The Boy, he said "I guess that means I don't have to go to church on Sunday either, huh?".....even with fever, he is the great negotiator.



Saturday morning it was pouring down rain...we all slept late, and The Boy got up fever-free. Now they will never admit it, but Boy and Husband were both happy to be in the bed instead of on the ball field that morning.



Sunday morning, I got up to get ready for church, and I decided that The Boy should probably stay in one more day. I told The Husband that I would take Little One and go alone...and he grunted in agreement. The funny thing about The Husband is that he is somehow always able to make me feel like he is doing me a favor by sleeping late. It is an amazing gift he has....



So that's it for today. Everyone is back in school today. The house seems very quiet without The Boy here. But I'll trade a quiet house for a healthy Boy any day....until tomorrow....

No comments: