Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"I Got My Hair Highlighted Because I Felt Some Strands Were More Important than Others"

It occurred to me last night after so many of you wrote in to inquire about my haircut that I put the cart before the horse. Maybe it is better to just get the hair cut and then see if anyone notices, because otherwise, there is too much attention and pressure.

When I got home yesterday, there was a message from Big Sis that said "The Husband says your hair is no different. It looks just the same." Of course, he hadn't even seen me yet. When I called to question him on this, he laughed and said "just guessing". He claimed the picture I showed him was just like my hair. Well, it wasn't, but whatever.

When I went to pick the kids up from school, I was anxious to hear their feedback. I couldn't find my sunglasses, so I threw on a pair of old ones that The Senior had left in my car. Suffice it to say, they are a bit "edgier" than my normal ones. As The Boy climbed into the car, he was staring at me. I thought it was the hair cut. "Mom, take those glasses off. They make your eyes look weird." My eyes?? What about the hair? No mention. He went through his normal review of the day...and then smiled. "I don't know who you look like, but you look good. Good hair." That's my Boy. I can always count on him for a boost.
Next came Little One. As she climbed in the car, she glared at me. "Hey! No fair! Those are the bangs I want! And why did you get your hair cut?! " ...The Boy yelled at her to be nice, and she yelled at him to leave her alone...and it was a very unpleasant ride home.

Well, I decided I had had enough feedback for the day, so I threw the hair up into a ponytail and forgot about it. When the Husband walked through the door last night, he grinned and said "I can't tell if I like it since you have it up." Well, I had to launch into an explanation of how my stylist had blown it out straight in order to check the cut, so it really did not look messy like it was suppose to. But by this time, his eyes had glazed over and he had turned on the Yankees game...so I just dropped it.

Later on, when the kids were down, I went for a run. When I got back, I was sweaty and messy, and I took the hair down and shook it and sat down to watch the game with The Husband. He glanced over at me and said "Your hair looks good." I glanced at the clock. 10:30. Well, here is the thing. No compliments from The Husband count between 10 and 11 at night. This is the hour of night that no matter what has happened, The Husband is going to be nice. Why? I'll leave it to the reader to draw any conclusions.

So this morning, when I returned from school drop off, I casually walked into the room where The Husband was getting ready. "Ok. Do you like it? Does it look any different?" ...."Yes and yes." I ran out before he could say any more....

So this morning, I will say that overall I am pleased with the hair cut. It is not drastically different...but nice and "messy" the way I like it. This way, you can't tell if I am going for a "look", or if I just forgot to brush my hair...

And until tomorrow, when hopefully there will be more substantial and important things to discuss...

No comments: