Friday, September 18, 2009

"We Think in Generalities, but We Live in Details"

The most difficult thing about writing this blog in 23 minutes is the ability to cover everything I want to in a thorough manner. Today, for example, I'll be all over the place, which I'm thinking will make coming up with a cohesive title a bit challenging. I'll deal with that at minute 22...


1) I have mixed feelings about the President scrapping the missile-defense system agreement forged by the previous administration. I could buy the bit about the new intelligence about Iran's short-range missiles being ready before their long-range missiles, thus encouraging us to concentrate on short-range receptors...but there was evidence that the administration was leaning toward scrapping this program months ago, before this new evidence came out. I'm worried that our European allies who have always looked to us as the nuclear deterant in the area, are going to feel like we're backing out, and decide that they need to develop their own nuclear programs...

2) Someone explain to me how 75 Democrats can continue to support Acorn after learning that 5 employees from 5 different offices tried to help undercover investigators (posing as a pimp and prostitute) set up a child prostitution business. This isn't a political issue...this is a common sense issue. Any good this agency might have done in the past has been far over-shadowed by video after video of corruption and ignorance...

3) I love all of those Mac and PC commercials...but the newest one is the funniest yet...with the guy who used to play Elaine's boyfriend on "Seinfeld" trying to convince the Mac customer that she can't expect everything...at the end, he gives her his card and says "when you're ready to compromise, give me a call"....just so funny.

4) My favorite designer won last night on Project Runway. Irina from New York won the newspaper challenge (they had to create a design from newspapers). Her trench coat was just off the charts in design and creativity and execution...I would have bought it in a second...even knowing that it would fall apart in the rain!!...I can only hope she will create the same design out of fabric. This girl is so talented.

5) The 11:00 episode of "Friends" last night was the funniest one ever in my opinion. Remember the one where Ross has taped the video of he and Rachel "getting pregnant". Rachel insists that Ross came on to her...and everyone believes it until he shows the video, and it turns out she has used Joey's "hiking in Europe" come-on story to lure Ross....hilarious...It's also the one where Chandler and Monica have been given a fake number by a couple they met on their honeymoon, and they try and figure out why....this episode is just an example of how every one of those actors was just brilliant on that show....The Husband and I were rolling on the floor laughing...

6) I'm often critical of the President, but I love the You Tube video of him calling Kanye West a "jackass". It is a very unscripted and real moment...and not only did I agree with him, but I loved his reaction seconds later when he realized that he was probably going to get busted for saying it....

7) New York runway shows were this week. Results? Marc Jacobs seemed to have won over the crowds with his feminine, yet strong designs. I'll have to see it...I've never liked his stuff since his "grunge" days. Michael Kors dresses were lovely...but a little too much like old Prada and Calvin Klein designs. What's up with that? He'd never let someone get by with copying on Project Runway. ..My favorite was Oscar de la Renta...classically beautiful, but on trend. He continues to produce lovely clothes after all these years. They keep saying Michelle Obama has snubbed him and hasn't worn his designs...but by the look of his spring designs...I'll bet she'll wear one of his dresses...they look right up her alley.

8) The new show with Julianna Margulies(ER) and Chris Noth('Big' from Sex and the City) starring as an estranged married couple living out the Eliot Spitzer headlines looks terrific. It's called "The Good Wife"...I love that it will come on at 10:00 on Tuesday nights because it means I have a shot at watching since the kids SHOULD be in bed by that time....

So that's it for this rainy Friday...a little of this and a little of that...so until next week, when the weather becomes cooler, the baseball play-offs are nearer, football season is upon us, the health-care bill has been presented....and so much more.

No comments: