Friday, September 4, 2009

The 5 Top Reasons The Husband does NOT tick me off...

I had several concerned responses to yesterday's blog on falling asleep in pick-up line. These ranged from whether or not I was drooling when I woke up, to whether or not there was now a You tube video of the whole thing.....Then this morning, as I was patiently waiting in line to drop off Little One, a kindly friend knocked on my window and said "Just checkin' to see if you're awake"....
Many people were also concerned that I was not using the A/C. One friend suggested forming a coalition against The Husband to convince him...others suggested ignoring him...the Brother-in-Law might have called him Hitler.....I began to feel a little guilty. Especially when The Husband sent a note saying "Why don't you just write a blog on the 10 ways that I tick you off?" (Ok, The Husband never says "tick you off", but you can fill in that blank). Well, I explained that it would take more than 10 to....ok wait, that isn't sweet. And so today, in honor and appreciation of The Husband, the following are the Top 10...wait....Top 5 reasons that The Husband does NOT tick me off...

1) I had a lovely lunch with a good friend at Grandma's house this week. I will have more to say about this lunch next week...but for now, let me explain that when I got to the house, I lit a candle to help air out the house. After the lunch, I cleaned up and left. Later that afternoon, Little One and I realized that she had left her softball cleats at Grandma's. I called and asked The Husband to pick them up on his way home. Not only did he do this without complaining....but he didn't even yell at me when he discovered that I had...left the candle burning. He calmly walked into the house and said "You may want to be sure to blow out the candle next time.".....I couldn't believe it! Was this my husband? Anyway, this did NOT tick me off...

2) I usually refrain from sending The Husband to any information-gathering meetings, ie pediatrician, orthodontist, vet, school...anything that requires listening and learning...because he will inevitably go, socialize...and come home without knowing anything. But last week's middle-school meeting on lap-tops fell on a bad night. I could not be 2 places at once...so with fear and trepidation...I sent The Husband, begging and pleading with him to PAY ATTENTION. Imagine my surprise when half-way through the meeting, he sends me a detailed e-mail listing all of the information from the meeting. This did NOT tick me off! I was so proud! Of course, then he said he was going to nap the rest of the time...The Husband is always a smart alec....

3) For days I had been craving a soft-serve cone from McDonald's. After the above meeting, the Boy came running in to the house with a cone (melted and half-eaten, but still...) and announced "Dad said to give this to you!")...This did NOT tick me off...

4) Last weekend, while the kids were out playing, I was cooking dinner. The Husband was watching TV in another room. All of a sudden, he comes into the kitchen, turns on the TV to HBO where the 'Sex and the City Movie' is playing. I have seen this movie 432,00 times, but I love it. He turns it on, sits down in a chair, and watches the last 30 minutes with me. He doesn't laugh when I cry...AND he refrains from making his obscene gesture that tells me he thinks it is silly until AFTER the movie......That is The Husband for you..my own version of Mr. Big....This did not tick me off...

5) And finally, 2 nights ago, as the Braves game went on and on...The Boy asked to stay up late and finish it. The Husband responded "No, I want to have some time with your mom." At first, I was a little nervous. What did this mean? Had I done something wrong? But no, to my surprise, we sat in lovely silence, watching the game alone together...This did not tick me off...

And there you have it, 5 reasons why The Husband does not tick me off...and I say this with the acute realisation that it is indeed the small things in life that mean something...and as Meg Ryan said to Tom Hanks in 'You've Got Mail' (I know Thomas, an "oldie" ) ... "all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings"....The Husband will know exactly what I mean...

And so until next week, with an appreciation for The Husband...and a happy holiday weekend to all....

No comments: