Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"There is a level of cowardice that is lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist." Ayn Rand

There was an interesting article in the WSJ last week discussing the decline of "edgy" in fashion. It detailed how in the current economy, people are looking for safe, classic and comfort clothing...not trend or edge. A quick browsing at the magazine stand backs this up. Over the last few months, the familiar faces of Christie Brinkley, Cindy Crawford and Elle MacPherson have graced the covers of magazines for the first time in awhile, replacing the "edgier" looks of ,say, Kate Moss. If you thumb through the pages, you may see Kate, but not in all her waif-like, grungy glory...but in her more updated, demure look.



The last 2 weeks on Project Runway, the two designers that were eliminated were the ones who were considered a bit "over-the-top" in their designs. The one guy, who was suppose to be designing a maternity look, went so far as to create a "nest" for his model...literally draping her stomach so that she looked about 15 pounds heavier...suffice it to say, it did not go over well with the judges. As he was packing his bags to leave, he admitted that he might have to pay more attention to his customer's needs instead of his own esoteric vision. Once again, the judges discussed how "edginess" is good, but only up to a certain point.

Back in "the day" when I was modeling, I remember being sent out by my agency for a "go-see" at a particular department store. This department store was filming a new commercial, and they were looking for models to work as extras. I'm ashamed to say that I hesitated when offered this opportunity because this was not a store that I necessarily wanted to represent. I won't mention their name, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with this store...it's just that I had an idea in my mind of the kind of work I wanted to do...and this wasn't it. However, since Saks and Neiman's weren't calling... I decided that my hourly rate times the many hours that it usually took to film a commercial would more than make up for my deflated ego. So off I went to participate in the humiliating process of walking into a room with many other models...staring at each other...silently deciding who would be the competition...and then being called back to show your card and do your thing for the store marketing department. I remember walking in that day and seeing one of the most gorgeous girls you've ever seen...just stunning. I immediately felt like leaving, as I figured it was all a waste of time...she would definitely get the job. But since my agency had sent me, I had no choice but to wait it out.
The next day, my agency called to let me know that I had gotten the job! I was stunned....and I told the lady that booked me that I was surprised...I described the girl that was there..and she knew who it was. She said "Oh, yeah. They told me they considered her, but they weren't going so much for beauty...more edgy." ....What?? I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Let's recap...I got the job for my lack of beauty?....and also, because I'm..."edgy"? Now look, I'm many things, but if you poll a group of 20 people that know me, I'm betting that the word "edgy" doesn't come up. But the strangest thing was that this particular store was as far from "edgy" as you can possibly get. The dictionary definition of "edgy" is "innovative" or "cutting edge". I will promise you that there was not one item in that store that fell into this category...nor did I. But I went and did the job, channeling my inner Kate Moss.

The next day, I went out and bought a ridiculous pair of chunky bottomed lace-up boots...the kind you see in a magazine and say to yourself 'Who the heck would wear that?" I thought that maybe I would try to mold my image into Miss New York Edge....but one look in the mirror changed my mind...(I was quickly reminded of what my French photographer said when he was shooting me for my card...."I sink we will go for zee bohemian, girl-next-door look"....) And so my days as the "edgy" girl quickly came to an end.

It will be interesting to see how long this period of "safe" lasts. I guess the good designers are the ones who can market their clothes as sensible and long-term right now...I read that Tory Burch and Narcisco Rodriguez, both fairly young designers known for quality, yet innovative designs, are both struggling to keep their fashion niche, yet also reach the customer who will no longer pay a lot for something that won't be around next year...because we have all learned over the last year that the best place to shop for clothes is in your own closet...so you better pick things that "last"..

So until tomorrow, when I just might pull out those chunky boots, and see what The Boy and Little One have to say about their "edgy"mom...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.