Monday, September 14, 2009

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."

My weekend re-cap is mostly sports oriented...but before I get to that, I have to say something about Kanye West and the VMA awards. When I turned on my facebook page this morning, Big Sis and all of her friends had posted outrage about last night's VMA awards. Now being of another generation, I stopped watching that show and anything MTV- related (unless I want to see someones outfit or make sure Britney is ok) a long time ago. Evidently, the darling Taylor Swift had won the award for best video, and as she was accepting her award, Kanye West leaped onto the stage, grabbed the microphone from her, and proceeded to rant about how Beyonce's video was actually the best. First of all, is anyone really surprised by this? His arrogance enters a room before he does...but he really stepped over the line this time. I was so glad to hear that he was booed whenever his name was mentioned after that...and even happier to hear that when Beyonce won Video of the Year, she showed so much class by calling Taylor back on stage to "have her moment". There you go, the worst...and best of behavior...

Speaking of bad behavior, did you see Serena's outburst at the U.S. Open? During the last game of the match which was to determine the winner, she was called for a double foot-fault by the line judge...and so she walked over and threatened to "shove this ball down your throat". Ok, not a proud moment for Selena...and all of the papers are chastising her this morning...and hey...very poor behavior. But I am going to have to play devil's advocate here for a moment. Does anyone remember John McEnroe and all of his rants during his time? Jimmy Connors? As I remember, they were always called, lovingly, the "bad boys" of tennis. I don't ever remember them being punished or disqualified...and sometimes their shouting went on for several minutes, in matches that were not that important...or in moments that were much less crucial. I have been watching tennis for years, and I can never recall two foot-fault calls in a row. When re-played, it was not an obvious fault...and while I'm not saying it shouldn't have been called...who among us can say that we wouldn't have felt exactly like Serena...and I had to at least grin at her "ugly moment", because sometimes competitive spirit gets the best of us. The line judge said she threatened "to kill me."...Please...I've never heard of anyone killed by a tennis ball shoved down their throat. The worst part of the whole thing was that Kim Clijsters beautiful play was overshadowed by this...which is why I think the line judge should have just let the match play out on its' own...

Ok, next. Did you see the between-the-legs cross court shot by Federer in his match? Unbelievable. Even he characterized it as the "best shot of my career". I wish Nadal had won his match, as it would have been fun to see them play again. I know I always say this...but Federer is just amazing to watch..

On another sports note...and probably nobody cares but me...but I loved seeing Brett Favre in his first game as a Viking. I love Brett Favre. I loved him as a Packer...loved him as a Jet...and now, love him as Viking. I don't care how many times he cries and retires...Once this guy hits the field, he is so much fun to watch. The first pass he completed yesterday was followed by a show of enthusiasm that the announcers called "juvenile joy"...but that is the kind of spirit that I enjoy watching. As long as he can play at that level, I hope he plays. If he stays healthy, the Vikings are going to have a good year...

On a personal level, our weekend was baseball over-load. 4 games in 2 days with two different teams. The Husband put together a group of terrific players from 4 different teams and entered them in a tournament. The lesson learned here is that no matter how good your players are separately... it always takes some time to learn to play together...thus the term "team". Even though they lost all three games, it was fun...because you always felt like they were only a rally away from winning. After playing three games, The Boy had another game last night with yet another team. He was exhausted, but played a beautiful game, including a great home run (sorry, mom-brag moment).

And on a last note...here is what I learned from The Boy this weekend. After playing on two teams where he didn't really know everybody all that well...he came away as he always does with new friends. The Boy has the ability to talk to anyone anywhere. He came away after the weekend knowing all of the players, opposing coaches, umpires, maintenance crew and concession stand workers...It never fails to amaze me how he can strike up a conversation with anyone. This gene evidently skips a generation like baldness, because my father was the same way. He never met a stranger that he couldn't tell his "stories" to. And The Boy is the same way...and it is a joy to watch. I did try to follow his footsteps this weekend. I left the book at home, I sat near the other parents...and I TRIED to have conversation. How did I do? Well, let's see...the first game started at 10:00, and by 11:00, I was exhausted from all the conversation....but hey, like I said earlier...feeling like a team takes time...even for the parents.

So that's it for weekend re-cap. Little One has her first softball scrimmage tonight...so until tomorrow, when I am promising myself to chat it up with this new group of parents....

No comments: