Thursday, September 10, 2009

On Selena Gomez and Bad Dreams

Last night was unusual. No activities, no practices, no classes...everyone was home. By 8:00, we were all settled into our respective areas...The Husband was watching the Braves game, I was watching The President, the Boy was pretending to study science, but actually watching the Braves game...and Little One was standing by on my laptop awaiting the big Selena Gomez webcast.
For weeks, she had been looking forward to this...and hour where Miss Gomez, referred to occasionally in this blog due to her Disney channel fame, would "chat" it up with her fans and answer any questions that people "sent" online. Little One had her list of questions ready...by 7:30, she had me log on and set up so that she could immediately press that "send" button at 8:00. I tried to explain to her that almost 12,000 people were going to be participating in this little webcast, so not to get her hopes up about any personal "chat"...but this just enraged her, forcing her to declare that she was Selena's "biggest fan ever" and her questions would be answered.
At precisely 8:00...nothing happened. Little One rushed in the kitchen, interrupting the President and yelling "It's not on! You did something wrong! I'm missing it!" So I abandoned the President and ran to the computer...and thankfully, it was not my fault. Selena and friends were having technical problems... but minutes later, the adorable Miss Gomez appeared, and the questions began. Little One shooed me away so she could type (or mis-type) her questions and send them in. She was so fully absorbed in this that at 9:00, already past her bedtime, she was still typing away. She glanced at me hopefully, adding "You always let (the Boy) stay up for the Braves game"....Ok, I gave in. She finished up and we headed upstairs to go through the bedtime routine. As we were walking up the stairs, I heard the phone ring, and faintly heard the voice of Big Sister laughing and mentioning facebook. I put Little One to bed after a short discussion about how her questions had indeed been answered and how there was to be another such webcast in a few weeks..,
When I came back downstairs, I logged on to check my facebook page...and lo and behold, I understood Big Sis's message. Little One, being logged on my facebook page, had used my status to post her questions. This meant that all of my "friends" had been greeted with an hour worth of Little One's questions for Selena...."What is your favorite color? Do you have a pet? Do you have any fears? I love you and I'm your biggest fan."....all perfectly valid comments for Selena...however, there was my picture accompanying all of them, sent out to all of my "friends"...well, it took me about 10 minutes to delete all of the posts. I hated to have to do it, but already I had some confused replies, wondering why I would be asking "Do yu have any fears?"...
In the middle of the night, Little One made her way down the stairs and into my bed. " I had REALLY, REALLY, REALLY bad dreams"she cried...no doubt due to all of the evening's excitement. As I watched her climb in next to The Husband (who was happily snoring away, the subject for a whole different blog), I had a big smile on my face. Little One is not so little anymore, and Selena may be the new female in her life...but it is still mom that can make the bad dreams go away...and that is a good thing...

So until tomorrow, when dreams will hopefully better...and we will be back to fashion...

No comments: