Sunday, April 12, 2009

Weekend Update, Hannah Montanna, and Tiger Woods

It was a good Easter weekend. Good enough to do a quick recap. Friday, I took the little one and her best friend to see the Hannah Montanna movie. It was opening day an I was actually dreading it a little bit. I assumed it would be packed and loud. I have seen almost every episode of the TV show. Gabrielle watches it every night while I cook dinner. I don't like it or not like it. Sometimes I laugh and sometimes I roll my eyes and say "Could we turn it?" But she had been asking for weeks to see it, so we went. We went an hour early expecting huge crowds...but no. Only 2 other families there waiting for the box office to open. They were sitting on benches. I told the 2 girls to play and I plopped down in front of the window in case the expected crowd appeared at any minute. The little girl who had been waiting on the bench with her dad came over and stood by me as if to stake her claim. I said to her, "You were first. I'll save your place if you want to sit with your dad." She nodded and smiled, but continued to stand by me for 47 minutes. It was like a show-down. After 20 minutes, a line did begin to form. When the office opened at 12, I stepped aside for her to go, and she nodded again. Truce.


The movie was adorable. I laughed, I cried, and I'll probably buy the CD "for Gabby" and borrow it. It was sweet and innocent and everything I like for my 9 year old to see. When we left, she and best friend agreed it was the "best movie ever".


Best friend spent the night and Saturday I took them to the church Easter egg hunt. They were close to being the "elders" of the hunt at age 9, but they approached it like an Olympic game. My daughter is the most competitive person on the face of the earth. She never met a competition she didn't like or need to win. I tried explaining on the way to the hunt that this was just a fun hunt, not a race or a game. But those words mean nothing to the little one. When they said "Go", she literally took off like she was coming off the starting block. She abandoned best friend momentarily, but in a moment of conscience, she rejoined her. There was one group of older boys who were a little aggressive. They were grabbing eggs left and right. I saw the look on Gabby's face as they ran by. I could tell she was considering sticking out a foot to trip them, but thankfully, she glanced over at me and thought better of it. In the end, they collected lots of eggs and had a blast. They went on to win the egg toss competition and the spoon carry race. All in all, a successful afternoon.

Saturday night was busy with coloring eggs and planning the Easter menu. The boy reminded me that even though he knew the truth about the Easter Bunny, he still hoped for a basket. Little one hinted that she hoped that her basket would include more than candy.(This is code for stuffed animals) Thankfully, I had them both covered.

Sunday morning was lovely. A perfect day. Little one woke up filled with joy at the sight of her fluffy-dog-stuffed-animal basket that held a bunny. The boy gave me a bear hug after discovering some money in a few eggs. He even put on a nice shirt for church. Dad wore his lavender button-down that I love, and Gab put on her black velvet dress that she wears for every occasion. I hinted that something pastel might be more fitting, but she insisted and she looked so pretty that I agreed. She did, however, go with the heart necklace and fancy ankle bracelet. I made a last minute change to my pre-planned outfit, deciding to go with the pink and brown t-shirt with the faux-pearl necklace collar and the brown tweed skirt. This way, I could wear my beloved BCBG pink stilettos that I rarely get to put on. I added the lovely pink tourmaline ring that mom gave me last year, the pink drop earrings Rose gave me, and the lovely pearl bracelet I gave myself. Final addition was the old pink clutch from Banana Republic, and I was ready. The service was simple and short, making the kids happy, and we headed home for a delicious lunch of steak, mash potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, broccoli, and chocolate cake for dessert.

The afternoon was spent watching the Braves, practicing at the ball park with the kids, and then watching the Masters. I held out hope that Tiger would fight his way back to the top, but it was not to be. He is an amazing athlete (in fact, he is the only one out there that LOOKS like an athlete). But it was not his day. When he finished the 18th hole and the announcer said he was not in the running, Gabrielle stormed out and refused to watch anymore. My feelings exactly. Of course, we turned it back on a few minutes later to watch the 3-way play off. Just had to make a point. Sports at its best.


Another beautiful Easter weekend winds down and the work week begins...


So until tomorrow, when I will open up the pages of my Vogue and Bazaar and give my list of the best of spring "stuff" (Kind of like Oprah's Favorites List)...

No comments: