Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!"

Yesterday we had storms all morning. As I wrote the blog, my computer was thrown off at least 5 times. Combining this frustration with the fact that I had an appointment an hour away at noon, I was ready to give up for the day. As I left for my appointment, I crossed my fingers and hoped that what I had completed would still be there when I returned. Better late than never and all that. When I got home several hours later, it was still there. And so were the barrage of e-mails asking where was today's blog? I decided to go ahead and post even though I didn't really complete my list or do my quick edit. So unfortunately, I felt as if yesterday's was sub-par. (This shows some arrogance on my part I know, because it assumes that I think that other days are above par). Anyway, instead of going back to cosmetics or products today, I am going to move on to clothes and shoes. I'll go back and complete yesterday's list tomorrow when I do miscellaneous.

I'm not going to group these according to price today. Many of these (most, in fact) are lust-after items that I just love, but will never own. Therefore, I won't try to do the "justify" thing, because your allowed to love something no matter what the price. So here we go, with no particular rhyme or reason:

1) Have you seen the Tod's advertisement with Gwyneth Paltrow? The one where she is wearing jeans, a striped shirt, and brown 4 -sandals? I want the whole outfit. The cool jeans with the leather pieces, the fitted striped shirt, the huge bag...but most of all...those shoes. I LOVE those shoes. I actually went to the website, even though I know Tod's is Way above my afford range...but of course, they give no prices on this site....and this of course, is how I know I can't afford it.

2) I love pencil skirts. I have been wearing them for years, so the last few seasons have been great for me since they are suddenly in style. I already have a pretty good selection in my closet, but the new Marni with the optical pattern (white background with taupe and red round spots) is just the cutest thing. At $630, I'll never own it, but if I did, I would wear it anywhere and everywhere.

3) Target is carrying a line by Tray Feith this spring. This is the guy whose Boho Chic designs have become more popular because Michelle Obama wore one of his dresses to a church service the day after the Inauguration. I loved the dress...but his is an acquired taste. You have to kind of like that Hippie/Bohemian look. Anyway, the line isn't in yet, but the new Bazaar shows a few pieces that cost around $14.99, and I can tell I will be picking a few up.

4) We'll move to J.Crew...my "go to" store for almost everything. Spring catalogue shows a slub-cotton t-shirt with a ruffled scoopneck which I love. At $39.50, my only decision will be which color?...the orange, navy or slate. These J.Crew t-shirts are great quality and look good with skirts dressed up, or with jeans dressed down. Next, there is the Frenchi-slicker in Papaya at $165.00 I will probably stare at this for a month, put it in my online shopping cart...and then wait for it to go on clearance. It is perfect for cool evenings. I also have my eye on the 2 -Button Australian wool 120's suit jacket in black. This is one of those items that I know I would wear out and keep for 10 years. It is traditional, but the sleeves are modern. I could wear it over pencil skirts, or dress up my jeans with boots. It isn't a steal at $230, but it is probably something I will eventually justify.

5) Still J. Crew, but a whole different category. This is one from the "collection" which is the small group of limited edition items that they put out every season. I have purchased a few of these pieces over the last few years and I have never been disappointed. This season, I am dying for the Dulce Sequined Silk Organza pencil skirt. Why?, I have no idea. It has no place in my wardrobe and I have no place to wear it. But I love it and continue to stare at it. At $450, no way. But again, it doesn't cost anything to love it.

6) I have to be careful here because husband does not like me to mention anything personal or any body parts. So I will hint and tiptoe around this one. There are new tank/camis at Target right now from Mossimo. They are longer than usual and they they have a slight v-neck. I bought a white one a few weeks ago, and I don't think I have taken it off yet. I'm going back to buy one in every color. I like it because...and careful here...if you generally wear a small due to shoulders and hips, but you need a medium for other reasons....this still works!! It isn't tight, and it doesn't show off too much cleavage, which means you can wear it alone or under anything. you can also sleep in it, which is always a plus.

7) I have mentioned these before, but they are worth another mention. Cole Haan London Air T-Straps in Black patent and leather. I originally wanted the gray, but as long as I am only wishing, I think the black are sexier. I look at these almost everyday and hope that they are reduced from the $298 price. Still holding out clearance -hope for these. They are very similar to some Prada sandals from this season, but at half the price.

8) I like this catalogue called Peruvian Connection. I have ordered from it over the last few years several times, and I always love what I get. They carry items from peruvian pima cotton or baby alpaca, and they are really one-of-a kind...but reasonably priced. I've ordered sweater, dresses...even a nightgown...and they are so pretty and well-made. Their website is really good and interesting, too. Right now, I am eyeing the Artisan Cote d'Azur Pima Cotton Tank dress. It's a vintage french brocade in a kind of turquoise, cream. It's $198, so I may wait for the sale, which they have pretty often. Their clothes are the kind you will wear for years. Not trendy, but still modern.

9) Total lust...Hermes enamel bangles. at $445 a piece...no way. But gosh, they are so pretty...

10) Another lust item...Max Mara T-Shirt dress in satin grey...$470 and just so perfect. March issue of Town and Country...I would wear it forever....

11) Back down to earth...Gap cardigan in navy and with white tie-dye..$49 and really cute with jeans or white pants.

12) Last item for the day...Kate Spade clutch in orange or hot pink...$175 and looks like an envelope...I love it. I am a real Kate Spade fan, but ever since they handed over the reigns of the company to someone else, I haven't really lusted after anything...until this came along...

Ok , that's it for the day. One can only spend so much time oohing and aahhing...

So until tomorrow, when we will move on to miscellaneous which includes just about anything...

No comments: