Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spring Time in New York City

In my former job as a buyer, I would travel to New York City every spring to do the buying for my shops. Besides traveling to Paris for the same thing, this was the best part of my job. I've always loved New York. I don't know if I would want to live there full time, but I love to visit. Whether I've travelled alone, taken one of the kids, gone with the whole family, or gone with a friend, each trip has always been fun.


On my fantasy trip, I stay at the Carlyle hotel. It is old-fashioned elegance with updated cool. Unfortunately, I've only had tea with friends there, since the $800/night price (and that was 2 years ago) was never allowed on my expense account (or my personal account for that matter). These days, you can get a room there for around $425, but that eats up a lot of shopping money.

For work, I usually stayed at the Sheraton near Fifth Avenue or the Mariott. Both are fine...nothing spectacular, but not terrible. You can get in there now for $185, which is amazing when you consider that 2 years ago, the worst room was $300.


Once you've got your hotel, you have to plan your itinerary. I always check out the Broadway show listings before I leave home. If there is one I am dying to see, I go ahead and get tickets on line. If my nights are flexible and there are several I wouldn't mind seeing, I wait and get them at the discount ticket booth in the City. They are deeply discounted, but again, you have to be flexible. I like to dress up for the shows. These days you see everything from jeans to formal gowns, but I use it as a reason to put on a great outfit. (Finding reasons to wear great outfits is kind of a theme with me...)


Fifth Avenue and Madison Avenue are my favorite window shopping streets. During the holidays, it is absolutely amazing to see the windows. Saks is my favorite. Their merchandisers are amazing. They put together the most creative windows you've ever seen. I always use to take pictures of them so I could come back home and try to copy them in my shops After taking pictures of the windows, I actually go in Saks. I start on the first floor and work my way slowly up to the top floor where there is the cutest cafe with a great view of the city. I like to eat there if I am alone. The prices are reasonable and the food is good.

The cosmetic counters in Saks are dangerous. I took my daughter Rachel with me on a trip one year and we ended up at the Chanel counter for two hours. When we left, we looked pretty good, but I was stunned at how much I had been talked into spending. I've never let that happen again, but we both used those products so slowly that we probably had them past their expiration dates.

The floors are divided into different designers. There is one floor where you find Narcisco Rodriguez, Dolce and Gabanna, basically every designer that you see in Vogue but can't afford...it is fun to look even if it is a bit intimidating. Which reminds me...you have to dress up before you shop in Saks or the sales help will stare you out of the store. In fact, many of the stores along Madison or Fifth have the little "bouncer" guy (for lack of a better word) standing at the door with an ear piece in his ear. You have to learn the "Don't even look at me, I shop here all of the time" look to give him, or you won't be able to make it pass them. You can get very paranoid when you walk in and hear them saying something into their little microphone. I think I figured out after awhile that they are just commenting on everyone's outfit as they come in. Maybe they are tipping off the sales help if they think you look like a potential buyer....or maybe I am hugely insecure and paranoid. All possibilities...

Next stop is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Even if you aren't an art lover, this is a must. Go first to the Impressionist Gallery where you will see some familiar paintings (Monet, etc.)...this will inspire you. Then you can stroll through the rest on your way to the cafe...which again is reasonably priced and good. (Again, a running theme with me are the cafes)

On a serious note, you have to make the sad journey down to the 9/11 Twin Towers site. If you have not been there in person, be prepared for a lot of emotion. There is no way to see the notes and names and memories there without taking a few minutes out for prayer. If you spend some time there, a good next stop is St. Patrick's Cathedral in Midtown. Not only can you go in and say a prayer, but it is so lovely that it will lift your spirits.

Ok, so today we have found our hotel, seen a play, shopped and prayed...not even half a day in NYC. ..

So until tomorrow, when we will eat, tour and of course, do some more shopping...

No comments: