Monday, April 27, 2009

The List Goes On

So on with "The List" today, which is going to include people, places and things...



1) Just returned from a travel baseball weekend in the lovely town of Aiken, South Carolina. If you live anywhere near there, I can't stress enough what a great place this is to visit for the weekend. We were there on a business weekend several months ago, and were so pleased when we found out that our baseball game would take us back there. The city-center is a pretty street lined with unique shops, art galleries and restaurants. It has the feel of a French town which is probably why I like it. It is a big horse town too, so there are always a lot of Equestrian events going on. We stayed both trips at a bed and breakfast called the Wilcox. Let me use the word one more time...it is lovely. An huge old house with a wrap-around front porch lined with white rocking chairs where you can sit and pass the time. The rooms aren't fancy, but well-appointed and clean. The bathrooms are spotless and well -equipped ...Cozy terry cloth robes, hair dryer, room spray, plenty of towels....and my favorite....products from Molton Brown. I LOVE this line. Many nice European hotels also carry this line for their amenities. I can also tell you as a former buyer that this is a splurge and a real attempt to please your customers.

The other great thing about the hotel was the bedding. Dad and boy are coach and player, so they got the king size bed. Little one and mommy shared the single roll out (this was the only type of room left) and let me tell you...that roll away was as comfortable as my own bed. High thread count sheets, down comforters, turn-down service that included home-baked cookies and lemon water....I could go on and on. The staff is amazing, ready and willing to do anything. and last but not least, the breakfast that comes with the room is wonderful. Homemade everything from french toast to grits to quiche, and the best coffee you've ever had. Ok...so now you know,...if you are ever in Aiken...by the way, the standard room is $185...not as cheap as the Fairfield at $102...but not the Ritz Carlton at $350 either.


2) Another random favorite...New York City...Dylan's Candy Bar...Owned and run by Ralph Lauren's beautiful daughter Dylan, this is one of the funnest places to go in NY with your kids(or without). It is well-designed, colorful...eye candy...pun intended...with every kind of candy known to man available, plus the cutest accessories. I still have my 8 year old mug from there that is my favorite. It is also a great online store if you have to send a gift. They are unique and fun and the prices are surprisingly reasonable...


3) A few weeks ago, I talked about a Longchamps purse and Hobo wallet I bought from Nordstroms. I stressed over the prices (purse $120 and wallet $90), but since I had the $80 in coupons, that brought my purchase price down to $130 for both. Let me just state that those were the best purchases I have made in a long time. The purse is incredibly wearable...meaning I can carry it to ballgames, school functions, church...anywhere, and it is still cute. Every time I think it is going to get filthy and show wear...it never does. It still looks new. I love the lime green, but I would have loved any color. As for the Hobo wallet...LOVE it. I have had so many compliments on it. It looks expensive. It is the prettiest pink...not a cloying too pink...but just enough to look springy and pretty. It has that magnetic closure which I worried might be annoying, but it isn't. I am so glad that Rachel talked me into both of these.


4) Jillian Michael, the trainer on the Biggest Loser TV show has a new book out called Master Your Metabolism. I don't watch the show, but I had seen her on some interviews and I could tell she knew her "stuff". This isn't really a diet book, but more a lesson on metabolism and balance. I think I was drawn to it because she looks so fabulous, but I learned a lot from the book...and there are some terrific menus and recipes, which is always a plus.


5) I love Musk. I have tried so many different versions. I have the Kiehl's musk scent, but it was a little off, and not cheap. The Best Musk is White Musk from the Body Shop...if you like musk, this is perfect...get the perfume body oil...not expensive and just heavenly.


6) Armani Fluid Sheer. Ok, this was an In Style pick for best beauty product and I was skeptical. but I have never tried a beauty product from Armani that I haven't liked, so I gave it a try...and I love it. You mix a little with your foundation and it gives you a slight bronzey glow. It is different than a bronzer, but I don't know how to describe the difference. Let me just say that I take very few cosmetics on a baseball weekend because my entire beauty routine has to take 3 minutes...but I brought this along. The cost is $58...ouch I know...but again, it is really good stuff.

7) Neutrogena Sesame Body Oil. A no-brainer if your legs are dry like mine. After using your Flirty Mango and shaving, put a coat of this on and your legs shine...and smell fresh. And the $8 price tag is also refreshing.

8) After the oil, put on a coat of Nivea Sun-Kissed Beautiful legs...it dries in a few seconds and gives a soft subtle color. Just be sure to wash your hands. You use it everyday until you get the color you want. At $10, it is affordable and it lasts.

9) The next line I want to try is the Jurlique line from Australia. I have read about the founders, and I like their organic take on everything. I keep seeing the "Balancing Mist" on every beauty favorites list, so I will probably try it soon. It is $21, so the prices definitely aren't drugstore line, but they aren't crazy high either. You can order this brand online, but they are also found at some Spas and specialty stores.

10) J. Crew fanatics can get excited that there were some "new arrivals" this week. Even if you aren't in "buy" mode, the ombre skirts and sun dresses are adorable. And if only I could go back and buy one of their wedding gowns for my wedding...they are just so....sorry for the over-used-but ever-applicable word...lovely!

That's it for today...it's Monday and there is work to be done...

So until tomorrow, Terrific Tuesday, when the "List" goes on...

No comments: