Monday, April 13, 2009

Beauty is Ten, Nine of Which is Dressing

The husband suggested I give some woodworking tips in the blog. This is code for "too much girl stuff'". Whenever I get into too much fashion talk, he "didn't get a chance to finish the whole thing". But my niece e-mailed me this morning and said she was looking forward to "The List". And niece trumps husband, so the next three days will be devoted to Spring Beauty and Fashion Favorites. Sounds like an article on the cover of my Vogue. I accumulate all of these from either trial and error, friend recommendation or wish list. I scour all of the spring issues of Vogue, Bazaar, Self, Town and Country, Shape and even Paris Vogue. I justify the ridiculous price of the Paris Vogue by telling myself that I need to practice my french, but the real reason is that I like the advertisements for all of the french brands.

I'll divide the next three days into three sections: Today will be beauty products/cosmetics. Wednesday will be clothes and shoes, and Thursday is miscellaneous. I'll also sub-divide into price category. The ratings will be like restaurant ratings. $$$$ for crazy-expensive, $$$ for luxury, $$ for moderate, and $ for affordable.

(Just as a sidebar, I saw a segment on the morning news where they said that "mommy blogs" are going to be monitored because of their product recommendations by the FCC. The story went on to say that this was probably backed by the trial attorneys who would support this for obvious reasons. I would therefore like to say that the following are merely OPINIONS ...my opinions, which are just suggestions and in no way endorsements.) So here we go:

$

1) Crest Vivid White Tooth paste- I am not one to spend a lot of time on those whitening trays or strips. First of all, they are expensive. Secondly, the minute you put the strips on, somebody calls and you end up lisping through the whole conversation, but too embarrassed to say why. This tooth paste is not a miracle-worker, but you will be able to tell a difference after a few days.
2)Boots "Quick Thinking" 4-in-one cleaning wipes. I love these things. I keep them stashed everywhere. Not only are they quick and easy, but they take off every bit of make up and mascara with 2 swipes. I use to buy that Bi-facil blue stuff from Lancome to take off my eye make up. It was the only thing that worked. But this stuff is cheap and easy...and better. I'll also add that you can buy this line at Target. It is cheap, and any product I've ever tried from the line is good. Plus, if you're like me and you are a marketer's dream....the packaging is really cute which means it looks good on your counter.

3)Skintastic Shaving Gel in "Flirty Mango". Another cheap addiction. It smells good (real, not artificial) and it works, meaning it leaves your legs smooth and shiny after shaving.

4)Body Shop Vanilla Spice Lip Balm. I hate to be a broken record, but this stuff is addictive too. If my 9 year old sees me take it out, she has to have some too. It's healing for chapped lips, but it smells like heaven...and again...great packaging.

5)John Frieda Root Awakening Shampoo. If you have fine hair that has a tendency to be a little flat, this stuff is amazing. If I wash my hair with this before I go to bed and sleep on it, when I wake up, I cannot believe the amount of volume my hair has. But just a warning...if you don't want a lot of volume, this isn't for you.

6) Maybelline Lash Blast. This is the one in the fat orange tube. For years, my cheap mascara buy is the one in the pink and green tube...old faithful. These are impulse buys that go in your purse makeup bag. For my daily mascara, I would always lean toward Chanel or Lancome. But this Lash Blast is good enough for daily wear. The brush is short and reaches all of your lashes, and coats them thickly. If I can get a coat of this on with some lip balm, I am good to go.

$$

7)Bobbi Brown Eye Gel Liner. I think the Bobbie Brown line is the most affordable upscale line out there. I find myself going back again and again to her products. They are always quality and they work. They are also very subtle, which is how I like my makeup. This eye liner is a little bit of a pain compared to pencils. You have to put it on with a special brush. But once you get into the routine, you won't go back. You can put it on lightly for a minimalist look, or you can do the thick rim for a more dramatic look. It doesn't smear and it stays on all day. I use the plum color because it is more subtle. But the "Ink" is great if you are going for a sexy night-time look.

8) Mac Lip Liner in Spice. This is an oldie, but goody. I have tried every other competing line in a similar color, and nothing compares. I don't wear lip liner during the day, but when you are going for that Pam Andersen night time heavy make up look, this liner is the best.



9) Joan Rivers Nail Polish. This is a weird pick, I know. I would usually just pick out some OPI on the rare occasion that I get a pedicure. But she sells a set on QVC which are just so pretty. In particular, there is a bronzey color that looks great winter or summer. I actually bring it with me when I get my toes done. It is that pretty.

$$$

10) Dr. Denese Mini-Peel Pads. Ok, she is a dermatologist who has a shop on Madison Avenue. Her whole line is very skin oriented, but these pads are amazing. If you are over 30, or if your skin looks tired and needs a boost, these pads will give it to you. They are a little strong, so beware of some redness, but your skin will adjust. I am never without these. You can catch them occasionally on QVC as the daily value and save a lot of money. Again, not cheap, but they work.

11)Giorgio Armani Silk Illuminating Foundation. This is $58, which just makes me cringe when you look at what you can buy foundation for in the drugstore. But once you try it, it is hard to go back. I just use a drop or two, so it lasts forever, but it gives your complexion a real glow, yet a bit of coverage. It is also UV 20 which is a real plus.

12)Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. If you hate foundation and do not need a lot of coverage, this is terrific. It is sheer and light, but it gives a little color and coverage. For summertime, it is all I use.

13) Laura Mercier Creme Brulee Body Creme. When I have this, I love to just smell it. It is just heavenly. It is non-greasy and absorbs quickly...and the smell is amazing. It is pricey for body cream, but a real treat.

14) Clarins Younger Longer. I love this line and this stuff. If I could justify it, I would be happy to use every product in this line. It is high quality and it all works. But you have to catch it on special on the website, or it is just too much. The Younger Longer Balm is the first thing I put on in the morning, and I reapply it during the day if my skin feels dry. I don't know what it is, but it just feels so good and makes my skin look good. I put this on with some mascara and gloss in the morning, and I am fine to go anywhere.

$$$$

15) La Prairie Eye Cream with Caviar Extract. I have talked about this before. They give you samples of this in first-class on overseas flights, so my husband brings it to me. The price is too high to even speak of, but this is a miracle cream. If you look tired or have fine lines around your eyes, put a little of this on at night, and in the morning, your eyes look great. the fine lines are gone (or hidden). Again, I can't bring myself to buy it, but I am always happy to get it.

Ok, that's it for today. I didn't get to everything, but I have to finish up.

So until tomorrow..."to be continued"....

No comments: